Current limiting a DC gear motor

On a sunny day (Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:35:40 -0600) it happened "bg" wrote in :

Ah, old times, I have serviced Studers, the pot in those did drive a Tube!

The early Ampex AVR1 video machines used light bulbs and photo cells. When a light bulb broke, the servo could think that there was tape slack, and both 2.5 inch reels would start turning in opposite directions (big powerfull motors), and stretch the tape down to a string. Production gone, if you had no backup. Happened quite a few times during editing sessions. Later they added zeners to lower the light bulb voltage so those would last longer...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

powerfull motors),

longer...

RCA used small Variacs and torque motors on both reels on their TP66

16 MM film chain projectors. If the fil broke, the arm hit its limit switch and turned off that motor. I reloaded and restarted the projectors before splicing broken film, while it was piling up on the clean waxed floor. I could reload and restart in under 10 seconds. A splice and restart took three minutes.
Michael A. Terrell

Pulse Width Modulation. You can maintain full torque down to practically

0 RPM.

Regulate it with a tension sensor (a movable capstan, a spring, and a pot or even a switch or two) such that it simply takes up as much as it needs to.

PWM isn't hard at all, albeit being inexperienced, you could probably use some help with the design. Just use an ordinary NPN low-side current sink and pulse it at whatever rate it takes to maintain proper tension on the film.

I built a PWM circuit to regulate the speed of a 1.5A motor, with substantial voltage compliance (It's a "spool gun"

) that's expected to work from 24-40 volts input. Sadly, the product died on the vine because of manufacturing considerations. )-;

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

nd

it it

the

so

f a

Thanks Rich. Is PWM motor control based on a Pot input more accurate/ reliable than a DC voltage regulator based on a Pot input?

Lars

Reply to
Lars Bentley

Absolutely. Torque is dependent on the current through the motor. Voltage regulation drops the torque at the time when you need it the most.

One caution - the time I did this it was with a permanent magnet DC motor - I haven't verified that it would work with a series-wound motor, but it sure seems logical to me that it would.

I say PWM simply because an analog current regulator would waste a lot of energy.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sloman

Umm, No they don't.

Certainly true.

Reply to
JosephKK

spool,

switch

would

educated

be?

applied

tension

matter

voltage

there

in

If

of

the

the

No

program

and

the

supplying

so

pcb

at

adjusting

mind

in

=20

=20

=20

Also true.

Reply to
JosephKK

We use pots like this..

HALL types.

And Carbon types which last a very long time in a harsh environment!

   Stop using Radio Shaft POTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..
Reply to
Jamie

On my planet they do (the ones I use - budget ones)

In a distant past, I have routinely repaired Hitec servo's with exactly that problem. Servos were expensive. Nowadays I order them from HK for a few $..

Reply to
Blarp

pots=20

el-cheapo=20

5

You can try and build quality, or you can build cheap. Building real quality in the current era is really challenging because with so much Chinese production and marginal supply chain control over there it is not quite doable. Not even "trusted" suppliers are invulnerable to being fooled. It becomes a business question of how much returns can you afford.

Reply to
JosephKK

? 2009?9?6???? UTC+

8??8:40:29?Lars Bentley???

Sell: China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partne rs around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL:

Contact: Anny Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

Reply to
zwgearbox

Take a look at the part LM317 applications notes. The LM317 is a variable voltage regulater which can be used to make a constant current source.

In your case I think you would be better off with a proporsional control in stead of the Bang Bank control. Bang bang refers to a servo system that is either full on or full off. Admitted you want to switch betveen full on a nd a low current, but that is very close to a Bang bang servo sysmem. It o nly has two modes.

You can buy linear pots and connect one to the arm you mention in a later p ost. With a proportional control system the amount of current would vary from fu ll on to what ever value is needed to wind the tape on the spool.

Do not listen too much to those that say pots wear out. They will wear out but not quickly. They are used all the time in foot pedals for control of current in welders.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The Texas -Instruments app notes is at

Take a look at section 9.3.3 figure 14.

The LM317 should be adequate for the 24 volts and 1 amp you mention, but it should have a heat sink.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

[...]

liangxiaoxiao138

[...]

Put a 100 ohm, (at least 5 watt) resistor in series with the motor, and a switch to short out the resistor, like this: (view in fixed font)

+24 ---+---[100R]---+---[Motor]---+ | | | +-----o
Reply to
ehsjr

Slide pot rather than rotary

Reply to
gardiegp

China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partne rs around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL:

Contact: Annie Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

Reply to
zwgearbox

About PM Motors with Planetary Gearbox A permanent magnet motor can be the perfect solution to many motor appl ications. It is reliable, efficient, and long-lasting. It is a cost effecti ve solution when not using a hybrid step motor. One problem with the perman ent magnet motor, however, is getting the amount of power you need from a m otor that needs to be relatively small in size. A great solution to this problem is the planetary gearbox. ZHAOWEI offe rs permanent magnet motors with plastic planetary gearboxes, allowing bette r power transmission in a compact form. A planetary gearbox is called a pla netary gearbox because it contains planetary gears. Planetary gears are mul tiple gears that revolve around a central gear, much like the planets in th e solar system revolve around the sun. These extra gears in the gearbox all ow greater torque capacity because the load is shared among the planetary g ears. In addition, the gearbox can contain much smaller planetary gears bec ause the stresses on each loop are lower thanks to this load sharing. In ad dition, permanent motors with planetary gearboxes tend to have more stabili ty. If you think a PM motor with a planetary plastic gearbox, might be righ t for your applications, ZHAOWEI has the one that you need. Just put your p lanetary motor parameters into the search box and we'll find the PM planeta ry gear motor with plastic planetary gearbox that's right for you. If we do n't have exactly the motor you require, you can check through our list of a vailable PG planetary gear motors to find one that will work best for your needs.

Reply to
zwgearbox