Cooling of overloaded transformer

For some toasters that's fine, for many not. You can always drop the electronics & elements separately, but it gets more work.

FWIW the cheapest way to do 260uF NP is 2x lytics back to back with a diode on each so neither sees more negative than -1v.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Your 4541 needs to not just measure time but voltage too so it compensates. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's a doable mod. If you had nothing more useful to do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Apr 1, 2018, Klaus Kragelund wrote (in article):

Won?t really work, as others have said. My wife burn?t her favorite hair dryer out by forgetting to turn the swith from 115 to 230 on a trip some years ago. Solution was to buy a local (European) hair dryer.

I wouldn?t think that toasters are so expensive (even in Europe) as to be worth buying a big transformer.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

rope

modify the toaster to run on 230 with a diode in series with the heating element ?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Eu

over

That would cause a huge unbalanced current in the source transformer.

There are optical triacs that activate on zero crossings. Set one to give a

50% duty cycle. The toaster element won't care, but the RC timing circuit might. That doesn't matter. The potentiometer is not very accurate anyway, and it drits badly.

I simply set the toaster pot to maximum and use a separate digital timer to adjust the browning. I have three settings: 2:15, 2:30 and 2:45 min:sec, depending on the type of bread, thickness, and length of the slice. The nice thing is if I somehow forget to set the timer, the toaster timer will expire before it sets fire to the toast. (BTDT)

I don't know if that would still work with a 50% duty cycle AC, but it's worth a try. Maybe the AC rectifier in the toaster would have to be modified. The circuit is very simple and easily traced. Do the needful. (Indian phrase. Useful at times.)

Reply to
Steve Wilson

und:

skip the transformer, modify the control to run on 230 and stick a diode in series with the heating element

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen
1.4x overload is tolerable, given monitoring, limited duty cycle, that sort of thing. >2x gets into the questionable range.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

Brutal.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Check Amazon US. You can get 220V appliances real cheap. Have them ship to your hotel. Here's some toasters:

Steve Wilson

flying toast!

oh, you mean the transformer. how many watts of cooling are needed?

Jasen Betts

I don't like a 120V bite at all (probably really bad for me, too) and have very dry skin in the Winter, too. I'll shut the power off before working on electricity, thanks. It's not very hard to walk over to the wall and flip the switch. ;-) I've also gotten bit when I separated a neutral and there was something else on the line back-feeding power in the neutral.

Reply to
krw

Europe

mely a

r favorite hair

as to be

Kitchen Aid products are half price. Over the last 2 years I have saved mor e than 1000 USD, compare that to the cost of a transformer of 70 USD?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Europe

mely a

r favorite hair

as to be

By the way, it's only certain brands

Kitchen Aid Festool tools

Whereas for example Garmin products are sometimes more expensive in the US even though the exchange rate US-DK has fallen by 15% the last year

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

So then buy a transformer. What's your problem?

After saving that much, there shouldn't be that many Kitchen Aid products left. A toaster is a pretty small investment. Why spend $70 for a transformer to power a $19 toaster?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

A 1kW toaster on 120V has circa 14 ohms resustabce when hot. On 230V, with 50% duty cycle, that will dissipate circa 1900 watts.

The solution lies elsewhere...

Reply to
whit3rd

On Apr 1, 2018, Klaus Kragelund wrote (in article):

A 1500 watt 240:120 transformer for 70 USD? I?ve seen lots of ?Converters? for small dollars, but they are unlikely to be real transformers (that is, made of iron and copper). One way to tell is to look at the shipping weight.

I?d believe $140, though:

. Rockler is a well-respected seller of woodworking equipment and supplies in the US, and I?ve bough many things from them.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

A toaster worth the loaf of bread costs a lot more than $19.

Reply to
krw

Have a kitchen full of KitchenAid appliances.

...and a basement full of those. ;-)

Are they even more expensive than they are here?

None of those.

Reply to
krw

Like. Solenoids operate so briefly they probably wouldn't mind. A series cap would be doable anyway.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

d:

Europe

erloading it, but then keeping the heat down by forced convection, namely a fan

Double voltage quadruples power, diode only halves it And the electronics wouldn't work, usually powered by a capacitor dropper.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr