building an homemade spectrometer

Hi all,

I would like to try to build a spectrometer for analysing light spectrum. My needs are specialy on UV range very near visible light (380 - 410 nm).

I've found a lot of things about CDRom spectrometer. Digital camera can also made a kind of spectrometer.

So, is there someting simple to do for making a "computer assisted spectrometer" ? Perhaps with some special software and a webcam ?

thanks for any advice, GB

Reply to
g.bon

I'm not sure how you can simply sense the light if your eye can't see it. I have this spectroscope.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

I suspect that since a 'digital camera' was mentioned by the OP, that they want sensitivity in the CCD there for that wavelength range, as well. Probably not using their eyes, directly.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Not specific to your question, but ocean optics do some low cost spectrometers. There are some tech articles on their site.

At least one of their products is a low cost PC connected spectrometer along the lines of what you describe.

Reply to
Polyp

I have built a few cheap, DVD-based spectrophotometers. You can use heavy construction paper and elmer's glue for the box and baffles and a flat razor blade to either cut a slit or else use themselves in pairs to make precision optical slits to let the light in. Also, a shoebox can be used. Or build something cheap from materials you are comfortable with. These work pretty well with digital cameras, too. I've not been interested in 380-410 and I have a sneaky suspicion that the plastic used in the DVD will absorb a lot of it. But if your source is bright enough or your camera sensitive enough, that may not be such a bad problem. The optical lens of the digital camera may also be a problem. You'd have to test to see. But you need to do that, anyway. So if you have a source that you know emits in the

380-410nm band (a 405nm LED?) you could at least try it out and see how well it measures out against the stated curves for it. You will definitely see the problem, if there is one.

You can test with DVD-RW, DVD-R or DVD+R. I know for certain that the DVD-R has a terrible, nasty absorption notch in the red (they include a dye that absorbs there) and that the DVD-RW seems to not have that problem. But you are on the weakly visible side of blue, so I suppose you don't care about that, anyway.

I think Edmund Scientific carries (well, it used to be cheap) some diffraction gratings, too. You might consider those.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Thanks a lot, Do you have an idea about price of the spectrometer you mentioned ? GB

Reply to
g.bon

I'm just trying to build an Uv source lightmeter. Thanks for yours ideas. GB

Reply to
g.bon

It was 10 yrs ago. The lab I was working in had one. I remember it being

Reply to
Polyp

Well, you could use a CD-R to reflect the light into a spectrum...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Why don't you use a UV filter glass then?

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yup that and a photodiode should work fine.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Not really gonna work; the blue and UV sensitivity of silicon photodiodes is poor. A day-glow painted screen to shift the UV light to red, followed by a photodiode, would be OK.

The only good sensor for wideband is the humble bolometer (or thermopile); you can make a black item and look at it heat up easier than you can sense IR+visible+UV by other methods. My favorite variant is photoacoustic spectroscopy, actually: you let the heating and expansion create an acoustic signal and then pick it up with a microphone.

Reply to
whit3rd

Have you considered using a diffraction grating?

You'd need some kind of mechanical thing to zero in on the wavelength of interest, unless you have a mongo light sensor that's sensitive to UV.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A CD-R R/O is slightly cheaper...

Reply to
Robert Baer

A CD-R R/O disk makes for a slightly less expensive reflection grating..

Reply to
Robert Baer