breakthrough research

Well spotted! I missed that idiocy. Where was it published? Even the Journal of Irreproducible Results has editorial standards...

I agree it doesn't reflect well on the journal that published this total dross. I guess they liked the 3D coloured graph or something.

It is always implicit in the system unless you have a perfect voltage source with zero internal resistance that only simulators can provide. In the real world you have to keep the inrush current within bounds or components become distressed and/or explode losing their magic smoke.

The point is that the circuit is amenable to trivial analysis by senior high school physics or applied mathematics of 2nd order ODEs.

In the real world the capacitor and the real voltage source have to be protected from each other when switching and there might well be a place for a network of R + L paralleled with R/a + aL or something like that to limit the inrush current but maintain a faster charge later.

I can't see any point at all in putting a resistor in parallel with the capacitor though (apart from to model leakage losses).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

No, that's why we NEED EE's! Physicists do not CARE about efficiency, that's what engineers are for. Lack of efficiency is fundamental thermodynamics, and you can't beat that, so why bother trying? But, that's what engineering is all about.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Ultracapacitors can store charge for months, and are used in some systems to supply backup power to volatile memory units.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Are you kidding? The charge efficiency is absolutely 100% efficient!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

I think he is saying that a capacitor looses voltage as soon as you draw any current while a battery will hold a voltage (relatively speaking) for most of its discharge until near the end.

That is one problem with supercapacitors. Even though they have a *lot* of capacitance, to use the energy the voltage drops considerably.

--

Rick
Reply to