Battery Difference between CR2032 and CR2025

snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

To thin to fit in quite a few sockets. And if it fits a bit, it will be empty much sooner.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

My computer clock battery died. It had a CR2032. I bought a CR2025 at a store going out of business (No Returns). Both say they are 3v. The CR2025 is a little thinner, but otherwise they are the same size. Is there any reason not to use the 2025?

--------------

Reply to
fred.flintstone

They are the same except that the 25 is lower amp rating. The

25 at the end is 2.5mm verses the 3.2 mm you were using.. It'll work just fine but not last as long. Probably it'll last long enough for the rest of that computer's life.

the 20 at the start is the width of the cell.

I am doing this from memory but it should be correct.

Jamie.

Reply to
Jamie

No.

Reply to
robertbaer

The 2025 won't quite fit in the socket. Put a dime on the + end as a shim. It won't last as long as the 2032, but should work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Google knows:

(2/3s down the page)

~2/3 the Capacity and smaller

Reply to
hamilton

Yep that's correct.

For a 2032, the 20 means the diameter (20mm) and the 32 means the thickness (3.2mm). The 2025 is 2.5mm thick and the even thinner 2016 is 1.6mm thick.

Most sockets are designed for a particular thickness so as others have noted, the 2025 will not fit the socket correctly.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

That is not totally true..

Many sockets don't use the swing over spring arm, the cell is wedged in the socket via a side spring to hold it. This means it'll hold all the CR20xx sizes.. Your key FOB on most cars are a good example. At least the one on my jeep and Sante Fe are.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

It's contacting fine, and is working to keep my clock set. Teh contacts are on the side of the case part of the battery, so it seems to work just fine. This is an older IBM computer, and it needs a new battery every 8 months or so. It always has since I bought it around 2004. Seems that IBM computers all had (or still have) this problem. I'll live with it. At least they dont seem to have failing capacitors and the other failures that some other brands are known to have. Aside from eating batteries, these IBM systems seem to run forever.

I should mention that I always shut off a power strip for the computer and all components hooked to it. I was told that leaving it plugged in and just shutting off the power switch would save batteries. But I'd probably pay for it in my electric bill, and possibly lose a computer from lightning. Lightning strikes are common on farms. I tend to lose a modem at least once a year and recently lost a DTV converter. I'd have to disconnect the antennas and phone lines and darn near everything else to prevent this. That gets to be a major hassle.

Reply to
fred.flintstone

age

025 at

=A0The

Is

ess

k.

Yes, you are discharging the battery every time you shut off the computer. But what's the problem? You just have to reset the time every time you boot.

se

Get a UPS that offers adequate surge protection.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

On Monday, September 10, 2012 10:23:27 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote: I was told that leaving it plugged in and just shutting off the power switch would save batteries.

Battery life expectancy is determined by 'shelf life'. Typically five years. The battery will discharge just as quickly on a shelf or in that computer (assuming an IC that contains the CMOS was properly constructed).

Reply to
westom1

would save batteries.

The battery will discharge just as quickly on a shelf or in that computer (assuming an IC that contains the CMOS was properly constructed).

Bullshit. The computers RTC isn't static, it consumes some power at all times. When the computer isn't supplying the power, the battery is. It isn't much, but it will cut the battery life by half. The RTC uses the same 32,768 hz crystal used in a digital watch, and the same divider chain to generate the 1 PPS, followed by additional dividers to track time & date. it also has additional registers to store BIOS settings. No CMOS circuit is perfect. All gates leak small amounts of current, and the more a chip has, the more it consumes due to leakage.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

r switch would save batteries.

ears. =A0The battery will discharge just as quickly on a shelf or in that c= omputer (assuming an IC that contains the CMOS was properly constructed).

r at

of

but it isn't much for something specially made for low current

I just picked the first maxim rtc on their list

something like 0.5uA

looking at this:

it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for a cr2025/cr2032

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

switch would save batteries.

years. The battery will discharge just as quickly on a shelf or in that computer (assuming an IC that contains the CMOS was properly constructed).

2032 speced at .2 mA discharge rate for 1500 hours. That is with a 15K load.

The data sheet for the Maxium RTC states:

PARAMETER SYMBOL CONDITIONS TYP UNITS VCC Active Current ICCA (Note 5) 450 µA VCC Standby Current ICCS (Note 6) 200 µA

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:21:10 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote: ... it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for a cr2025/cr2032

IC consumes so little current (nanoamps) that battery shelf life is the relevant parameter. Either battery should be good for at least five years as demonstrated by correct numbers (in nanoamps; not microamps).

Reply to
westom1

Reply to
kmhollycci

The thickness (3.2mm vs. 2.5mm), and the energy that goes with the size difference. Both are have a diameter of 20mm (hence the 2025 and

2032 numbers).
Reply to
krw

Sounds to me like somebody forgot to eat their cornflakes this morning. Let's not get our chemistry mixed up with our biology? Here's the bottom line.......it will work. I've been using the cr2025 in my IBM computer's clock for the past 12 years. I haven't noticed one bit of difference. Furthermore, I understand that lightning will strike anything...even trees that do not supply power to anything at all!! Hmmm, imagine that?

Reply to
professor/grant

Ah! - maybe that would explain your replying to two-year old posts...

Reply to
Geo

Not to mention you can't made in Japan coin cells anymore. They are now made in China and crappy.

Reply to
miso