Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs - Page 9

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I'm glad you mentioned that.  I had noticed that it existed but hadn't realised
just how nice it is!  I've just ordered a few to have a play with.
I assume the lack of hard real-time comes from execution out of flash
memory?  The i/o state machines should give hard real-time though.

John

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Fri, 26 Feb 2021 02:04:10 -0800 (PST)) it happened John

A warning
I have decided to stop with raspberry stuff as when I got the RPI4 8GB
and they released their own Linux OS version it sucked.
They are now bringing out one thing after the other
and looking at their datasheet for the pico I wonder if it is worth anything.
Maybe it is freedom expected when leaving the EU that made them
like to do something totally different.
And how long will it be supported, and will an other version appear next monday.
It has an on board ADC it seems but the reference sucks.
ARM no ARM, maybe better use a PIC, long time support is good for Microchip
Even a 3 $ PIC has multi channel ADC and good internal reference.
Else for logic use a cheap FPGA board perhaps.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Raspberry Pi OS was just a name change for Raspbian which is the OS they
have released since the first Raspberry Pi. It is essentially Debian!

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Sun, 28 Feb 2021 15:44:43 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Jim Jackson

More or less.
I have a sdcard that runs fine in the Pi4 4GB RAM.
Many month of work and coding in it.
Would you expect to run it in a Pi4 8GB?
No it does not, they changed for example the boot code.
Brexit gone to their head/
Would you like a PC that had 4GB RAM  and you upgraded to a 8GB memory
version and nothing would run on it?
And they changed the audio system in there raspi OS so it is now incompatible with all the old code.

I have seen so much linux shit over the years, starting with rathead incompatible libc
then oss replaced by inferior alsa, then dbus, now alsa replaced by whatever it is on the raspi OS
No it is not debian (anymore).
Xfree was an other thing that got screwed too.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 16:10:53 GMT, Jan Panteltje

Less. Cut down version. Works though!
 --

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
 progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one

     - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

  Does it have to do with the new systemd stuff?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Sun, 28 Feb 2021 17:33:10 +0000 (UTC)) it happened
snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in

Yes systemd is an other thing that changed over time.

The not booing of SDcards for the Pi4 4 GB in the Pi4 8GB version
has to do with differences in the boot EEPROM code in the 8GB version.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Get a hummingbird instead.  More expensive but more professional too.

<https://www.solid-run.com/embedded-industrial-iot/nxp-i-mx8-
family/hummingboard-m/>

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Mar 2021 00:05:27 +0000 (UTC)) it happened
snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in

Interesting, does not say much about the software?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
@gioia.aioe.org:

They run any *UX you want...  even bsd.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

so just like any other ARM board, just less common and +2x the price

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

  Examine the entire site.  They have several products and many of
the applications I see being addressed here could use one of their
embedded solutions instead of using a full mini-PC platform.

  They also have an AMD64 and even Intel powered offerings.  And yes,
a far better engineered product tends to cost more than a generic
throw togehter that folks embraced and then they made money and
upgraded everything to...  A generic throw together POS that way too
many folks embraced.

  I have no qualms about paying more for a better product.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Yes. But only if I did an OS upgrade. It has been that way from the
beginning. If you do the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on the 4G Pi,
then the SD card will work in the 8G card. I've done that going from Pi1
to Pi3 then when I went to Pi4.

Are you refering to the shift to Pulseaudio? I find that just installing
apulse (a wrapper that makes programs use plain ALSA as if it were
pulseaudio) and removing pulseaudio works fine.

Debian has pulseaudio (dunno if it is installed by default - suspect it
is) Debian certainly doesn't OSS anymore, it uses ALSA and/or PA. There
is an OSS compatability kernel module for ALSA, so programs that expect
OSS still work - and it works on my OSS programs.

Xfree got arsy with their licensing, so it was forked from the last
version with proper free licensing. So Xorg is xfree but under a
different anme and a different set of developers, and is used by every
linux distro out there.

If you are so pissed by this, why do you still use this stuff - go use
windows or a MAC or something? You sound like you are just a whinger.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Sun, 28 Feb 2021 22:16:18 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Jim Jackson

I followed that advice after consulting in the raspi group.
The effect was that lots of stuff and dependencies got updated
then z bad sound solution was replacing the old alsa, and no more sound in chrome
browser, long list of shit, my software expected alsa.
It is ABSURD
That raspi club has lost all sense of compatibility.
And keep in mind that the system I am running on the Pi4 4G is absolutely different from
the original distro, hundreds of apps and scripts that then all have to be modified.
What a bunch of idiots, all for 4 GB extra RAM!!!!

I have several pi1 in use 24/7, one as router with a Huawei 4G stick in it.
None of the cards / images will work in later models.

I did (after a google), still chrome audio does not work.

Now using that expensive (eh) PI4B 8GB with a rtl-sdr stick in it to run dump1090
something that just as well runs on a Pi1, or with my spectrum analyzer software
as the ratspi does noting else that speed is nice, but it does not need 8GB RAM of course.
THAT is the word!! RATSPI
reminds me of rathead

For me raspberry is of the past.
It has become a bunch of dilettante clowns putting out one thing after the other without an in depth
knowledge of the OS, Unix, the hardware and what people who REALLY want a small computer would expect.
For them many others.
Not even to mention all the power fixes in the EEPROM...

Sure I also have /dev/dsp on all my Linux machines.

This laptop I am using to write this runs Slackware.
It (Slackware) is a one man band and internally consistent.
Nearly everything that came after the original install is compiled from source.
Many bad things that came later in Linux are not on this laptop.
 panteltje20: ~ # uname -a
Linux panteltje20 2.6.37.6 #3 SMP Sat Apr 9 22:49:32 CDT 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I have replaced xorg with xfree on some PCs.

Windows is a joke, it became a joke with win98,
on the older one you could run win 3.1 on DR DOS :-)
I moved to Linux in 1998 with SLS linux (SLS nothing to do with NASA, was 'Soft Landing Systems')
and never went back, somebody talked me into trying some windows version later
but removed it almost immediately.

I have written more Linux soft and open sourced it than most.
This Newsreader (see headers) is one for example.
Some soft I wrote is used all over planet earth, have nit heard about other planets yet, aks ET
Of course libforms was screwed up by the maintainer so had to fix that myself and make a new library so I could run NewsFleX
and a hundred other GUI programs I wrote on for example the ratpis.
Yes that was the Debian lib version screwed up, poor maintainer never imagined somebody using middle and right mouse button
for example.

Kids with no clue screwing up libraries is the normal these days it seems.
Same develop new languages if they refuse to learn or are unable to understand the old ones.
Python comes to mind

Whinger ? No I speak out a warning to go into raspberry, sorry if you are an UK brexit slave
and want incompatibility.

Now about that virus and the lock-downs, RESIST!
And do not get yourself killed with mRNA vaccines it is all about killing the older generation.

Clear?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

It sounds like you did an upgrade from one version of raspbian to
another version of raspbian. A simple apt upgrade should only have upgraded
already installed software - not introduced new packages.

I never run standard Raspbian desktop - I install the lite version (no desktop)
and then add what packages on top of that I want. When I do

  apt-get update && apt-get  upgrade

only the install packages with newer versions get updated. God knows
what you did.

Funny that but I went from a Pi3 (not even a Pi3+) to a Pi4 (8GB) just by
doing the update && upgrade thingy, and got the newer firmware and kernel
and it all worked when I transfered the sd card.

God only knows what you did that made it go wrong.

much ranting deleted.

I often noticed that some people get so worked up that they stop
listening to, or even seeking advice. So stay stuck is a shit situation.

Sometimes people can't be helped.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I don't like "upgrades" (of *any* software); too often, they expect things
to be in a particular state.  So, unless you are a plain-vanilla user, its
possible/likely that YOUR box is in a state that the folks building the
upgrade hadn't anticipated (though still "legitimate").

Many times, the assumptions aren't stated in the release notes.

[Adobe products are particularly annoying; do I need to install EVERY
update from the initial release?  Or, just the most recent??  And, do
I *really* need to reboot every time the update tells me??]

Whenever I upgrade any of my *BSD boxen, it's essentially a "build from
scratch" operation (not all of userland -- but, always a custom kernel
and every "app" that I run) so I can *see* what problems may manifest
in the process.

Historically, I've encountered builds that weren't "clean"; but, the
person who *did* the published build didn't catch -- or understand? -- the
issues that appeared during *his* build.

That's not intended as a bad reflection on him.  Rather, an acknowledgement
that when you're trying to prepare a package for a variety of different
types of machine hardware and different host OS versions, you can't anticipate
everything that might not be "quite right".  Especially considering many of
these are volunteer efforts.

[E.g., I've encountered "stock" kernels that won't boot on certain machines.
Is it a flaw in the kernel?  Or, rather, the fact that the release engineer
didn't have one of that make/model machine on hand to test??  A few minutes
parsing dmesg and tweeking a new kernel configuration and its no longer
a problem (for me)]

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Modern software has far to many dependencies, or pretends to, at any rate.
Heck, even the machinery of figuring out the dependencies has too many of
them.

Dependencies are evil. I sometimes rewrite things just to get rid of
needing yet another library or tool.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Exactly.  And, the more "universal" the solution tries to be, the more
it has to drag in extra "underlayers".

*BSD uses the "pkgsrc" system.  It's pretty clever in what it does.  And,
the hooks that it provides to assist in maintaining/building code.

[E.g., from the top of the pkgsrc tree, I do a 'make fetch-list > get_stuff.sh'
to produce a script that I can then run on an "exposed" machine to fetch
all of the sources that I would need to build everything -- without having
to expose the machine in question *or* actually try to build everything!]

But, when you ask it which "packages" a particular package depends upon,
the list is often daunting; do I really want to build ALL of this stuff
*just* to get what I want??

It's most annoying when you look at the dependency and wonder why they
opted to rely on it -- instead of just implementing /what they need/,
directly!

And, each dependency is another opportunity for "someone else" to break
*your* build!  :<

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

  The why are you making presumptions about what he did?

  The reason was already described.  Maybe something else your
presumptuous mind glossed over.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Mar 2021 18:00:43 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Jim Jackson

Follow their 'advice', should not have,
Fixing only the EEPROM was a solution, NOTHING ELSE should change!!!!
But they are so secretive about that EEPROM.
Idiots!
One should not change the booting system between a 4GB to 8GB version!!!
Rendering all work you did useless!

much ranting deleted.

The best solution to an ever recurring bad job by a company is to change company.
I vote with my money,
And in THIS part of the world still I can say what I think about bad work.

So will see what's up in that huge market.
Too bad for your ratspi shares :-)

Site Timeline