868Mhz helical coil questions....

I have some data to make one to try out.... 6mm dia, 28 mm long but.... Does it matter what the spacing between the coils is, i.e. no of turns ? Is the effective 'length' (pi x Dia x no of turns) = 1/4 wave ? If I 'pot it' with hot melt glue, to make it 'rigid' will that screw it ? Can I use any solid wire? 18swg TCW ? Or does it have to be enammel covered ? TIA

Reply to
TTman

A helical resonator is essentially a length of slow-wave transmission line, much like a coaxial stub. The helix is what makes it a slow-wave structure, i.e. the physical length is short compared with the electrical length. (Resonators also have much weaker coupling to the external circuit than stubs.)

Filling a helical resonator with *lossless* dielectric would reduce its characteristic impedance and make the slow wave even slower--so the resonant frequency would go down. It would also affect the Q by changing the coefficient of coupling into the resonator.

Part of the point of helical resonators is to get high Q, which makes them very sensitive to dielectric loss. Air is a good candidate for the job, but most kinds of wire insulation are poor--using enamel makes good sense because it protects the wire from oxidizing (which increases the loss) with a minimum of dielectric.

I don't know the exact dielectric properties of hot melt, but I doubt they're all that good. Another problem will be the temperature coefficient, which will get much, much worse if you pot it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

out.... 6mm dia, 28 mm long but....

For sticking things together use "Q-Dope". It is made for RF.

Reply to
MooseFET

y out.... 6mm dia, 28 mm long but....

s ?

it ?

overed

ve

to the op... check out this book

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Yes. Like Mr. Hobbs said, it's a slow wave structure, and the coil geometry (including turn spacing and wire diameter) affect the speed of the wave along the coil.

Probably close, but it could be 1/2.

Almost certainly. I doubt that hot melt glue is a really high Q dielectric, and it'll change your resonant frequency.

Uninsulated is probably best. Your wire insulation is a dielectric, see my answer to your hot glue question.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com