Subject Author Posted Replies

Panel Mount Switch
All, For a PCB mounted switch I get it - part is soldered on the PCB. No problem. Now when we get into something like a "panel mounted" switch I am not sure what I am dealing with here - for example:...
11
11

Melting cooper wire with a soldering iron.
Actually, of course, it's totally impossible. So I wonder what's really happening. I've been modifying a quartz clock, and needed to solder the very thin enameled copper wire that its motor uses....
25
25

Any tall 6mm*6mm inductors?
Folks, Just got a case where an inductor saturates. It's an existing design and due to a time crunch they'd like to press on for now with the existing layout. It's the Coilcraft LPS6235 series and...
5
5

Best Test Bench Laptop?
Gentleman; I need a new, used, refurbished Laptop computer to run and document my tests. The data will be USB stickled to my main computer for scrubbing and internet connection. Here is my list of...
8
8

USB Withstanding Voltages
I should look this up. But I'm lazy, and I know who to trust on this group. I'm writing a set of instructions for a board that has two physicaly identical connectors, one with RS-232 signals on it,...
13
13

How is battery capacity calculated ?
To all the electronics gurus on this newsgroup - how is battery capacity decided - for example if I buy a 6 Volt 5AH sealed lead acid battery, how did the manufacturer come up with the number 5AH ?
14
14

S99-50198 NOR Flash info needed
Does anybody know what chip is it? Spansion S99-50198, FBGA, made for a "big OEM" that told Spansion not to give specs to anybody? I do know it is 128Mbit NOR Flash kinda like their S29GL128P so I can...
6
6

Do you know this connector?
I was recently given an encoder to integrate into a design. The encoder has a male connector on it that is a frustratingly close mate for the Molex female housing 22012055: (or if you don't like line...
11
11

Silicon samples
Hi All, I?m looking for a source of silicon wafers. Well those are easy to find on the web. What I?d really like are Si samples that have been sliced with ohmic contacts added. This will be for a...
11
11

right-angle boards
We did this with the threaded brass spacers as pick-and-place parts. But it's a nuisance. I was thinking, why not just solder the two boards together? Seems plenty strong.
41
41

magnet flux modeling FEA type program
FEMM (Finite Element Magnetics Modeling) might do what you want. It's free, and does electric fields, and heat flow, too.
3
3

Soldering Tiny Wires Query
Yesterday I discovered a technique for soldering wire wrap 30 AWG wire in tight spots and was wondering if anyone else may have tried this. I took the finest tip I had which is about a 0.5 mm dia on...
12
12

Series Resistor and TVS diode placement
If I have to put ESD diode and current limiting series resistor to protect the IO pin of MCU from ESD and over current, which is the suggested way? MCU Pin -------------- Series R -- TVS to GND --...
46
46

What I learnt this year.
Ferrite cores conduct electricity! Ouch! Not brilliantly, but a measured 10k or so over a cm or so. I've never been much involved in the black arts of coils, but for the past half century I've...
8
8

PCB Copper Thickness Versus Rth - is this graph correct?
Hi I have a PCB, 50mm x 50mm, and I need to optimize cooling of the PCB. A num ber of dissipating components are spread out on the PCB to produce an unifo rm temperature across the PCB. Currently I am...
14
14