Subject Author Posted Replies

electric heating
I took thermodynamics a long time ago, and wasn't terribly interested at the time, but it seems to me that electric heating, especially resistive heating, is going to be very inefficient. A power...
173
173

Weird piezo driver
This is a beeper piezo in a Fluke 117 DMM which quite beeping. Scoped the piezo?s pads and... nothing. An inverter (from the CD4069) is connected across the piezo. Guess I don?t understand anything...
7
7

OT: Spaetzle Press
I've decide to try my hand at making my own Spaetzle. Rather than struggle with the mess of pressing thru a slotted spoon or a colander, I understand there is a Spaetzle press you can buy. Any...
19
19

OT: Drywall Saw Using Jig Saw Blade
Ran across an interesting idea where a guy used a jig saw blade as a drywall saw... making his own handle. Really nice for tight working or tight curves (in my case). I don't have a wood shop :-( Any...
14
14

Run of the mill cable for underwater usage?
I'm looking at cable for some underwater sensors. Nothing fancy or mission critical, low current for low voltage pressure and temperature sensors, that sort of thing. General specs are: 1) 4...
8
8

ubeam
Tens of millions invested and it doesn't work? I could have told them that.
45
45

Simulating Antenna Reception
Hi, I am in the process of designing a quadrifilar helical antanna for the 70cm band. I have been using an old program called Antenna Model. It is a NEC-2 MoM based simulator. The program falls short...

GPS 1PPS
I'm writing a proposal for a system wherein the customer will give us a clock and a 1 PPS pulse, both LVDS, both derived from a GPS receiver. They don't seem to know what will be the exact timing...
56
56

Building circuits
I've decided that constructing whole circuits on Veroboard or blob board is too much of a PITA for me to do with regularity, even for one-offs. I like soldering things together, but even fairly...
30
30

OT Demagnetizer
I got a package in the mail today. A demagnetizer from china. (I have no idea who sent it, someone here?) Anyway I cracked it open and looked inside. The bottom piece seemed to be a simple dipole....
14
14

arduino pro mini vs Nano
Just some thoughts that may help someone. To get started I would recommend the Nano. You just need it , a usb cable, and the IDE downloaded. The Nano has a usb chip on the module. No hassle s about...
9
9

Electronics Surplus Stores, a Vanishing Breed
On Wednesday I drove from the Bay Area down to San Diego, to pick up the child-unit from college. I made my usual stop in Van Nuys to get gas at Costco and to go to All Electronics . When I moved to...
71
71

Part help -- looks like ribbon cable but not
I've bought a part in the past and certainly they're still around but don't know what the hell to call it -- got them from digi key (called them already). Ok -- it looks like flat ribbon cable -- but...
7
7

basis for our modern communications technology
Simple yet complex.
3
3

NPN Configuration ? Expert Opinion Needed.
The image on the below link shows the configuration of NPN transistors bein g used in a dual package. What in the world is going on here? My analysis: To me it seems that the capacitor C31 is blocking...
15
15