Subject Author Posted Replies

tea and toast
Seems to me that the more power you apply in an electric kettle, the more efficient it is. Toasters ditto.
111
111

HOTs *can* handle 1200V
In fact, most HOTs (Horizontal Output Transistor -- 1500Vcbo, 5-20A, Vce(sat) 2-5V @ hFE = 2.5) handle 1600-1800V at breakdown. Most trigger in avalanche rather slowly (~100ns), though I've seen a few...
6
6

Ping Hobbs: JFET Noise
Phil, I have a chip situation, differential input, HiZ required. I have available to me NJFET's (sizeable) and good NPN's. What's the best differential configuration for low noise? The customer thinks...
35
35

Fractals
I hear fractals are used for designing cell phone antennas to maximize receptive power in a minimum amount of space. So why can't you just use a length of wire wound in a spiral arrangement to occupy...
18
18

ID component
It looks like a ceramic cap, 8mm diameter, with leads that lay across opposite faces and cross at the center. I suspect it's a polyfuse or similar. Markings: B R075 4053S
11
11

Making secure mechanical connection to IC pins to modify equipment
I have a piece of music gear on my bench which I'm modding for a client. Needs some new wires attached to the uP bus to fan out to some CMOS logic on a daughterboard. What's the the neatest way to...
6
6

AwardBIOS "Summary Screen"
I have a bunch of Neoware CA10 thin clients that I am configuring as diskless workstations for a class I'll be teaching this fall. In documenting my efforts, I've had to reference BIOS settings to...
11
11

Adding humidity to a temperature chamber
I need to do some environmental testing, including for humidity, inside a small temperature chamber. Humidity sensors are a dime a dozen, but how do you add humidity? I see the ultrasonic mist...
22
22

Canl 2N3904 handle 1200V?
No. (More specifically, a stack of ten. Which should avalanche at about 1200V, and it looked like it was working, for about a second. Then they all kacked and the current limiting resistor started to...
24
24

Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
Pretty creative method. Still involves etchant, though...
23
23

Re: How to measure C+stray to 0.01pf
The old AAD meter (available at that time) exhibits about .01pF jitter. If all the OP wanted was .01pF resolution, then that might have been the quickest option. Sort of takes the fun out of it,...
10
10

Dealing with mains power transients
I'm looking at protecting a power sense circuit from mains power transients, using a resistor and a zener diode. Spice says it works well, but when the zener conducts, essentially the entire transient...
19
19

Video on tuning PID controllers
Yet another video on tuning PID controllers has been tossed into the YouTube pool. ?
20
20

pcb edge clips
I'd like to find some metal clips that would clip and solder to the edges of a small PCB, to make that board surface-mount onto a larger board. _____ | _____| | |__ or something like that. Googling is...
17
17

Tesla Autopilot Death
May 7, a man died in his Tesla Model S when it collided with a truck while under the control of its Autopilot system. This is after 130 million miles of autopilot driving. If this turns out to be a...
20
20