Subject Author Posted Replies

Apollo Guidance Computer - facts from the horses mouths
A few weeks ago there was a thread where ppl were citing 'facts' about desi gn and implementation issues of the AGC. I had forgotten about this site.. .it should clear up some misunderstandings/flat...
16
16

High Q smd capacitors
Reading a forum, a member is comparing the Q of an smd capacitor to a good air capacitor. Maybe?, I don't have a reference of the Q of a good High Q capacitor. Range 20pf to 400pf. For further...
54
54

DPAK resistor
This has a metal tab, like a DPAK transistor, but isolated. I measure about 5 pF from both ends of the resistive element to the tab. Caddock says 2.3 pF, which is probably one end. It seems awfully...
15
15

AoE x-Chapters, using power MOSFETs as linear transistors
DRAFT copy of a useful section in the upcoming AoE x-Chapters, about using power MOSFETs as linear transistors. Subthreshold region, etc. Comments, errors found, etc. Thanks!
60
60

Make an IR Soldering Iron
The hot air from a heat gun used to change ic's can damage nearby components. Commercial IR heaters can be expensive. Here's a very inexpensive DIY IR soldering iron that can do the job. The video is...
6
6

OT: interesting paper on the consequences of ice sheet instability fro sea level rise.
From today's Proceedings of the (US) National Academy of Sciences It concentrates on the Thwaites glacier in Antarctica but the results can be expected to generalise to other ices sheets, as is...

OT: Two Parties With One Aim
You can probably guess what that aim is:- -- This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other protocols, whether...
6
6

Solder paste
I recently received this and am learning about what applications it is good for. I put a small amount on a project board and the solder seemed to adhere better. I am using up some old RS solder that...
9
9

Bob Pease archive
A colleague sent me this link. enjoy, George H.
3
3

Slow SEPIC sim
I'm simulating a pretty simple SEPIC dc/dc converter in LT Spice. Just to hit the requested output voltage is taking maybe 10 minutes and creating a 1.4 gbyte .RAW file. Are there some settings that...
11
11

Digital Microscope purchase
I'm looking to purchase a digital microscope. I have no single use for it although I would occasionally use it to solder smd parts, I've also just bought knife sharpening stones and would like to get...
31
31

RoHS Compliance
I almost hate to bring this topic up. But, I'm getting pressure from the boss to state RoHS compliance in our Use r Manual. Problem is, that has not been tested. (And we're unlikely to.) It's...
22
22

TOT: Gold and Silver Price Manipulation
Still as crooked as they come; still no probity in the precious metals market:- "By siphoning off demand for real gold and silver and channelling it into unbacked or fractionally-backed credits and...

six-foot drop test
Dropbox? Six-foot drop test. :-)
12
12

Cement Production is Third Largest CO2 Producer by Country
That's pretty amazing. There is a trade group that wants cement makers to sign up to be carbon neutral by 2050. Given that CO2 is produced by the ch emistry of making Portland cement, I think that is...
6
6