115/230V voltage switch key for transformer?

You said 1 buck is OK, not five. I said one relay and 10c parts. I guess that would not make for 5 bucks...

The other is

But don't you have a bulk cap somewhere? Just keep the relay in the same state until the bulk cap voltage is over. And if you use a low voltage coil WRT to the nominal bulk cap rail, then you have plenty brownout time before the relay decides to switch back.

Oh, and it'll never switch on 240 mains, so in not 3rd world countries we won't experience any failure at all.

Not yet, but I got some bit of interesting info I didn't think about, like the one (it's all about ergonomic) that use some "linearizing trick" to get a usable hand stroke. But I don't like the way they do it (1000s turns coil). Also the one you pointed me too was already preassembled. Just fit it in the box and voilà. That's not what I was after. But now I begin to feel I've the info I missed to design a good one, so I might go that path.

Of course work will get in the way, but...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

news: snipped-for-privacy@j19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com...

Dunno if it helps, I've seen multi pole jumpers used for voltage selection where the cap has multiple links in it.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

"Joig?" Or maybe "Yoig?"

If "Euler" is pronounced, "Oiler," then howcome "Euclid" isn't pronounced "Oiclid?" ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

PS. I was thinking maybe "Yerg". ;-)

Oops - I think the vodka might be kicking in...

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

See if this will work for you.

Herman

I was thinking about putting the wall wart elsewhere and run your widget off DC.

How about using your 240V transformer (or dual primary in series) with a secondary voltage high enough at 120V to run your switcher or perhaps a buck-boost switcher. Let it run at 1/2V at 120V.

Reply to
krw

The universal supplies are such a nice idea..

~100 .. 240 volts input. etc...

Some start as low as 24 volts AC/DC

Reply to
Jamie

(snip)

If you do go that route, beware the brownout on a 240V supply. Kills auto-select ATX PSU's.

Reply to
who where

[...]

Probably I could get a DPDT 250V-rated for under a buck but the cap would need to become larger. Then I'd have to convince TUEV and other guys that this is all nice and kosher.

Yes, there is a cap but this all adds parts and stuffing costs. Pretty soon you are over the one buck.

Ahem ... I think it was in France where a TV team plugged in some Klieg lights and then the wallpaper turned black from ceiling to wall outlet. Turned out the circuits did not have any fuses and the custodian said "That's normal around here".

Don't know how old she is but it might be great to include your daughter in the design process as well. Who knows, maybe she'll catch on to engineering.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Do you remember where or what brand it might have been?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No, the o-umlaut is like the first part of the French word for "maybe"

-> peut-etre

Technically one of the "e" needs a roof over there but my keyboard can't do that.

In German it is :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Na'sdarovje!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Herman, I've copied down those Molex part numbers. I had pondered a key plug before but not looked at Molex yet. The crimping labor would have to be added to the 79c. Possibly that can be handed off to a place that specializes in it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'd love to but transformers operated at much lower than rated voltage become "soft" and you can't get the rated wattage across.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, but when you inquire about the fine print it turns out they must be derated at rather lowish temps, starting around 120F. That kind of rules them out in this case.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Partially let go"? Given that the magnetic force drops very steeply as the iron moves away from the pole piece, I'd have thought that a very remote contingency...maybe it just moves too slowly for the arc to be extinguished? Please expound.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

It's an old lesson that I learned after building my first RF power amplifiers (kilowatt-class). The T/R switch relay had to be controlled with gusto when doing very fast morse code sequences where you get close to realtime switching, else its contacts would erode rather fast. IIRC I went through almost a dozen Potter&Brumfields over ten years back then.

A transformer presents to some (small) extent an inductive load which likes to arc a bit on anything that mechanically opens and closes. So in this case you'd need some circuitry that cuts the relay loose instantly, like a threshold detector. It's all doable but at some point the costs kind of add up.

The main problem with power relays is often when they want to come back on. A contact that sluggishly leans into its counterpart can easily cause a brief "bzzzt". If that happens a lot it's like a pinging engine, it causes wear. This is why the HV guys spend so much effort to speed up the action in their contactors. It's a whole science in itself. At the power electrics institute of my university I had seen some really nifty prototypes, such as contactors where a pressure capsule was used to give them gusto. Every time they switched you heard a bang from that pressure-assist mechanism, to the point where they required people to wear ear protection.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

news: snipped-for-privacy@j19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com...

Sorry I don't really remember what kit it was in !

I do remember being curious enough to take the cap off to have a look and put it back on the wrong way round, blowing the mains fuse. A 30mm

3amp T type.

Imagine 8 jumpers side by side in a single molding.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

That's exactly what I am looking for. But it's like a looking for a needle in the hay stack with the chance that someone already took the needle away :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Have the factory set the jumper, then stick one of those "warranty void if this sticker is removed" stickers over it?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise