What are the modern options for current-boosting uC outputs?

In the past I've used both individual transistors (bipolar) and devices like the ULN2803 to allow uC outputs drive loads in the tens to hundreds of mA. Being mostly a software person I haven't kept up to date with what's available now for such uses, so I thought I'd get reaquainted. What are the common choices today for driving loads between, say, 25 and 250 mA? Small and cheap (and available) is always good, of course. And I'm interested in knowing about both sinking and sourcing current. Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Silva

Still the transistor :) only today, Logic enhanced mode fets are more attractive for low loss of power.. With these devices, the Ron ( On resistance ) in very low! Like in the mohms. (milli ohms), something that bipolar isn't as good at. This allows you to run higher currents with no heat sinking and requires only voltage to turn it on. P.S. They tend to be slightly slower on the switching how ever compared to bipolar. You need to shop around for a low capacitance fet and drivers if this is an issue.

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to