This Sounds Interesting - Zinc Selenide White LEDs

From Don's LED FAQ pages. Sounds interesting, but as with any new cutting edge technology, the cost is probably very high. It was a year ago that was posted, perhaps in the near future they will become available. It took awhile for the Luxeon Stars to become available to the hoi polloi.

"UPDATE 3/13/2004 - zinc selenide white LEDs have a typical voltage drop of 2.65 volts at 20 mA. They can be made in aqua-blue. White ones have chips that emit aqua-blue light out their tops and orangish light out their sides, and the light has to be mixed inside the LED. Roithner Laser is selling a few zinc selenide models. Craig Johnson has an online review of these in his Page on LEDs available from Roithner Laser."

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Yeah. Certainly 2.65v is nicer than 3.0-3.3v

About the Luxeon Star, I looked up the poop sheet on the Star V last night and was shocked at the lifetime rating: 500 hrs (ISTR). The cost/hr is still too danged high for this putter-around-er.

Reply to
Michael

year

drop

have

out

online

night and

still too

Yeah, true. So you run them at half power and they last a lot longer. Like 2 or 3W of light ain't too shabby, now, is it? Compared to the 1W LS, that's a whole lot brighter.

I got my TerraLux side emitter last week and installed in a Min Maglite I have. It's considerably brighter than either the Opalec Newbeam or the MagmaLED side emitter which is also focusable. I like it. But it ain;t cheap - $28 including shipping.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th