Dielectric absorption and dissipation factor

I'm curious about DA and DF in capacitors especially with regard to plastic film types.

DA in plastic films caps would appear to be related to the electret effect. Presumably it's therefore simply material dependent ?

DF I'm less clear about but it looks to me to be related to the resistance of the metal involved so film/foil types have lower DF than metallised foil. Is it just that simple ?

Is anyone aware of any non-linearirty in the dielectric constant of plastic films with applied voltage btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

film

Graham,

The dielectric constant absolutley changes with frequency. The DF points to an equivalent resitnace and as well as bing related to the losss also is a factor in the crner frequrncy of the dielectric constant.

Dielectrci absortion is a who;e different animal

marc Popek

Reply to
LVMarc

film

it

That's a completely new one on me. Can you point me in the direction of any data about that ?

Indeed.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

film

Hi Graham.

Dissipation factor is sometimes also known as the loss tangent and is of particular interest on high speed PCBs. Certainly PCB material has loss tangents specified at various frequencies - I'll see if I have anything here, otherwise I'll dig out some datasheets once I get home this evening.

Pretty good comparison here:

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS