What is the powder inside mains leads ?

Hi Guys,

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I'm curious; what exactly is the powder between insulation of the outer sheath and the inner conductors in a mains power lead? I'm talking about the stuff that gets everywhere when you strip a lead to replace a power plug or socket. Its inside every Australian appliance and extension lead I've ever worked on.

Thanks for your help.

DJP

Reply to
DJP

"DJP"

** Looks like talcum powder to me.

Not scented though.

Simply acts as a dry lubricant to make the cable coil and handle nicely.

** Nothing like all of them - IME.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

French chalk, which is a variety of talc used a dry lubricant. Also found on new pushbike tubes (or at least it was back in the dim dark ages when I last owned one).

--
John H
Reply to

French chalk, that's a technical term for unscented talc. It's often used as a lubricant (by lubricating it makes the cables more flexible)

chemically it's fine grained calcium carbonate powder non toxic, non allergeric, basically harmless.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Talc is actually hydrated magnesium silicate.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

"jasen"

** The kiwi NG plagiarist strikes again .......

** ROTFL !!!

French Chalk = Talc !!

Wonder many " French letters " this "jasen " cretin has read ???

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Just curious Bob - why would you, or anyone else, want to hold a stripped cable in your mouth? Shocking thing to do

David

Two Bob wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

God only gave us 2 hands, and sometimes we need to hold 3 things at once.

John

Reply to
Two Bob

As far as I know, the old (circa 1970s)Telecom telephone cables had some sort of rodenticide in them. A mate of mine fell reaaly ill after using the cable for projects, he always used to strip the copper strands of their insulation with his teeth.

- Rob.