voltage regulation

I need to run a mini display that requires about 3.2 V. I have regulated 5V running on another board. Is there any problem with just using 3 diodes to drop the voltage to close to the disply's requirements? Any comments would be welcome.

Robert

Reply to
robert

"robert"

** Nope.

But drop a nice electro ( 6 volt, 220uF) across that reduced rail.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

How much current does the mini display require? Can the 5V supply on the other board maintain the regulation on its own board, as well as supplying the display board?

Reply to
dmm

That's a big call big Phil. I prefer the other response better, at least he is asking for a bit more information. Like WTF is a 'Mini Display'? Are we talking just powering it or is it in need of some data and s**te too? Maybe it's hanging of a data bus..... 3 diodes per bit +/- some chip select? Thats a lot of diodes, do you really think it's a good idea? Maybe there is a better way.... (that doesn't use valves or 555s)

;-)

(flame on!)

Reply to
Greg the Grog

The "mini display" is the screen from a mobile phone (10mA). The 3.2V will also power a picaxe microprosessor (prob. 100mA?? i'm guessing) so be be generous no more than 200 mA for the lot.

Robert

Reply to
robert

"Greg the Grog"

** Bullshit it is.

Snip rest of your irrelevant & mindless s**te.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Is it actually (or critically) 3.2V, or is 3.3V acceptable? 3.3V is a standard and regulator chips are readily available.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

the voltage is not critical. Anywhere between 3 and 3.6 is fine.

robert.

Reply to
robert

Then use a 3.3V regulator for the display and run the rest of the circuitry from the 5V or as required.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor