The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

The world's oldest intact computer is turning 60 in Victoria.

The CSIRAC - Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research organisation Automatic Computer - is housed in the state's museum and has today been granted heritage listing as part of its birthday celebrations.

It is the first computer ever to be made in Australia; the fourth computer ever to be made in the world; and the only first generation computer that remains intact.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

just adding to that, if you would like to read the full story, it has a good writeup with pictures at:

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

writeup with pictures at:

Thanks for that post.

Great article.

Takes you back to when things weren't quite so simple, and paper tape and card punch were king.

Rob

Reply to
me here

When you see a Vintage Car people go wow, isn't that amazing. When you see a Vintage Computer people usually just Laugh or Snicker.

Why is that?

Reply to
son of a bitch

I suppose it would need a memory upgrade to run Quake.

--
- Mike
Reply to

Maybe Computer technology moves so fast that people have little sense of history. While in the UK in 1997 I made an effort to see the Colossus rebuild at Bletchley Park.

Glenn.

Reply to
glenbadd

That should be "oldest intact electronic digital computer" I believe.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Can't say I noticed that when I was there. Everyone, adults and kids, were obviously blown away by the exhibit.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

It is a neat exhibit. My kids did laugh when I pointed out the Microbee & XT with green phosphor monitor that were just like the ones I had........

Reply to
Nik Rim

Interesting story, but it's a pity that the article is so cringe-worthy. Comparing CSIRAC to an ipod, for f*ck's sake?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

I thought the same thing when I read the headline.

Some pimply faced editors idea of what he thinks people want to read, in this day and age.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

One box is pretty much like the next and talking specs is very sleep inducing.

Reply to
terryc

Yeah, that'd be my guess too. Sad, really.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

Here is a storage system to go with it.