So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

Here is what you do: Sell on-line to over 200 countries, but don't charge them the Australian 10% GST. And it is legal.

You can sell to the European Union and save them 20% VAT. You can sell to New Zealand and save them 15% GST.

Boy, what a big kick start this will be for you.

But your prices will have to be competitive, as they buy from the same shop you do. It's called China. And your shipping costs will have to be competitive too, otherwise there will be no advantage for them to buy from you.

NOTE *** These comments apply only to what I consider low value goods. Under $1000AUD.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

**[CHUCKLE]

You're a bad man, Don. A very bad man.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

How come we can buy from the US cheaper than here, even if postage,GST and duties are added? (Even when the dollar was at 80 cents.) That's not China BTW and they have to support the US government with duties etc.

Figures around indicate it's only 3% of retail Australian spending that Gerry and his mates are concerned.

Now if we look at the profits that these BIG companies make and distribute to their share holders, how much money leaves the country.

What about all those Australia companies that have been bought by overseas investments, profits go overseas again.

Reply to
Rob

On 6/01/2011 8:07 AM, Don McKenzie wrote: ...

Don't know about NZ but most EU countries will charge the receiver with VAT/duties. I've sent a few presents there, kids toys and clothes went ok but a $100 laptop style DVD player attracted VAT and duty before the parcel was delivered. On other hand $50 RC helicopter was free from government greed.

I guess might depend on the country.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

VAT/duties. I've sent a few presents there, kids

duty before the parcel was delivered. On

Granted Tom, it was a blanket comment, and individual counties have different rules.

However in principle, I can buy a $1K software package from the US, and sell it to a customer in the UK without VAT, providing it is web downloaded. If is is on a CD and needs to be shipped, then customs becomes involved.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

GST. And it is legal.

How do you know that these countries will not have to pay GST on these imports?

Reply to
Gillard = Rudd in a frock

GST. And it is legal.

There is no way they have to pay Australian GST, as there is no mechanism in place to collect this tax for the Australian Tax Office.

However there may be tax and duties payable in the country you are exporting to. Countries like India, and Brazil are bad, as they generally hit all imports hard. Brazil often wants up to 100% tax. India seems to change the rules depending on the colour of the customs officer's hair.

Most other countries ignore values less than $100, as it is a matter of how much you spend collecting such a small amount for tax purposes.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Tom wrote

VAT/duties.

No they dont.

laptop style DVD player attracted VAT and

from government greed.

So clearly most dont incur VAT and duty.

Corse it does.

Reply to
Rod Speed

VAT/duties.

If it comes from outside the EU and goes physically through customs they will collect duty/VAT unless its walue is very small, differrent countries have different understanding of small value.

laptop style DVD player attracted VAT and

free from government greed.

Most of the small stuff - no. Anything of value - yes. I know of at least one coutry that does not believe values declared on parcels from known Chinese/HK dealers, they open the parcels and apply their own value estimate for duty purposes.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom wrote

VAT/duties.

collect duty/VAT unless its walue is

And that is precisely what we do ourselves.

And your original claim is just plain wrong.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

That last is a lie as your RC helicopter proves.

from known Chinese/HK dealers, they

As we do ourselves.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I worked with a guy who was associated with the ANCAP vehicle testing program for many years.

He said that's how they do it, and a prime example was US made engines that were brought across to Oz.

He's been in the industry for years and said it's the way they operate.

Maybe as it's within the same company they can make it look like an internal money transfer between divisions.

Reply to
me here

Strangely, Germany is one of the few countries that you can't insure an air mail package to:

I guess it must be because of the war. WWI? WWII? Don't mention the war!

When I started selling on-line in 1993, it was really a case of suck it and see. You had no idea of what counties would have customs difficulties, and what countries would regularly have packages go missing.

Today things run a lot smoother, and I know they will get easier as more countries get better acquainted with on-line sales. Customs people will get very used to the routine, and make their jobs easier eventually, as they are bombarded with packages. Have to clone good sniffer dogs, etc.

In Australia, Ebay now has a contract to assist the Australian Post Office with deliveries from overseas. Which means a shift from traditional local retailing, to on-line overseas sales, with additional distribution channels here to get the product to the Australian customer. I can see courier services expanding here in the immediate future, to cater for this explosion.

What I don't understand is how the finances work with incoming parcels from overseas, and the APO's income breakdown. Any prominent postie personal present?

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Ditto on that.

I sold a racing type m/cycle carby to a guy in Germany and he had to pay a hefty tax to get it.

He described the process at the time and it was a huge time waster for him and the several local authorities involved.

I think the package even had to be unwrapped with some official present and the tax payable depended on whether or not a payment receipt was in the package.

I remember I had to send across a copy of the Ebay Paypal advice before they would let him pick it up first time around coz they didn't believe it was bought on line.

Shit, I mean, who needs all that run around?

Reply to
me here

guys these days.

Fat chance.

I saw one today.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Australia Post seems to be trying to rub out the independent parcel delivery guys these days.

I used to get stuff delivered by independents such as the local crash repair company, who got maximum value out of their work van/spare parts guy by getting him to courier parcels in his down time.

Haven't seen a non Aust Post type van for quite a while.

Reply to
me here

US website does not offer "60 months intrese free terms"

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It has nothing to do with AP, but the fact that most couriers are franchise holders for the bigger courier companies. They just collect and deliver to their area and feed in or collect from the "regional centre(meeting place). hare for an independent to find enough local work.

Reply to
terryc

Don't be fooled They charge a $$$$$$ account keeping fee instead which is around 3 times what one would pay using a Visa/Mastercard

-- Petzl

Petzl

In aus.computers Petzl wrote: ...

I remember one of those evening newstainment shows interviewing Ger about his "no money to pay for a year" plans and he saying he'd never use them because there were not good deals.

--
What profiteth a man if he gain the whole world but lose sight of the
basic results of multivariate decision theory?

VAT/duties.

Yes they do.

For example, to buy a Rigol LCD-based DSO from China or the USA, you have to pay VAT but no duty. To import a real CRO (with a CRT), you have to pay VAT plus 4% duty. In Germany the VAT is 19%.

laptop style DVD player attracted VAT and duty before

government greed.

Only if they are below about 50 Euro in declared value.

Reply to
fritz