REQ: OLD ANALOG OSCILOSCOPE

hi folks

i was watching Aussie guy Dave Jones and his youtube vids, one of were about osciloscopes

so, i took his suggestion and thats why i am posting here now...

i am in electronics so as HAM too, i am trying to get some basic equipment to be able to go a bit deeper into electronics, so, i am using this oportunity to ask if anyone have some old analog osciloscope, well, i am not asking it for free (despite Dave said on video how many people are giving them even for free , those old ones) but at least to not be some huge price since i am not in financial situation to buy new one or even some at my own country coz people who are even selling them are selling for price that is nearly to price of some brand new digital ones...(crazy logic but thats how it is)...and spice up is that i am still jobless so buying expensier one is even more impossible...

so, if you have or if you know someone who might have some old analog osciloscope that is let we say 2 channel 20MHz...i would apprechiate to make some deal and arange overtaking it, paying the price plus costs of shipping of course...

actually, i had some old Hameg 5xx serie that was 1 channel 8 MHz...but it did blow and cant be repaired since there is no spare parts for it anymore as it is around 40 years old...

btw; i am from Croatia in Euopre...pretty far, i know :) Thanks a lot in advance for any usefull infromation

Gagi

PS: i know how noone likes beggers, but all i please is to not rip me off since i was already ripped off with that dead old Hameg :(

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

k his

not

ce

wn

ow

is

I hate to say it, but even if you got one for free from an Australian, you would be killed on postage charges, as these analog CRT scopes are typically pretty heavy.

Australia Post has really been price gouging in international parcels, and sea mail would take 2-3 months to arrive. (but it is still too expensive proportional to the cost of the item).

Take a look at the postage rates.

You might want to take this into account when looking around, you might be better off paying more for something closer to you, if the postage costs are more reasonable.

UK Ebay sellers seem very reasonable on outgoing postage costs in my experience. (note - other countries might be good too, but forget AUS and the USA for fair prices on international outgoing postage).

You might want to try Ebay UK.

or try electronics forums that have many people based in the UK on them

Might want to hurry though, just in case they jack up the price. The country is bankrupt, and they will probably try to rip as much money out of every government service that they can.

Reply to
kreed

"kreed" wrote

interesting....and i was told how the max price i might be charged for it would be around 50US$ for shipping...plus aprox price of CRO it self max

50US$...so, it would be in total aprox 100US$ plus administrative fee in custom office in my country of 30% when overtaking the package, so it would be up to max 130US$ wich is still great price for me since here in Croatia i cant get it even for 200US$...its aprox 250US$ here so i can only dream about it...and to not mention how average month salary is 500US$ here...and my month income is around 150-200$ at the moment since i am skilled into repairs of PCs so i earn some money just to cover bills..

i posted here mainly coz this electronic group is most active, while German or French are not so, despite they are much closer to me in geographical sense...

however, thanks for your honest observation :)

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

i just made a little search again my local market, take a peek and "enjoy" the prices :))

1US$= 5kn

500kn=100US$

just take a look of Hameg 10MHz 1 ch ....800kn....160US$ (and seller just reduced price from 900kn/180$ to 800kn...it says even in description of add)

and thats the cheapest i can get here...

i hope you guys understand now why am i so desperate and looking for CRO even at Australia... i am not blind and i am not stupid, so as many other Croats here, we can see prices on the internet and prices on our local market brand new or old used, doesnt matter...its stunning....and after surfing the net a bit i found how

10MHz CRO is given for free or for 10-20 US$ max...just to be taken away from peoples shelfs or garages....and 2ch 20MHz are max 50$ ....while in Croatia i cant find it for less then 300 as you can see on adds....this is hillarious :((

320US$ old 2ch 20MHz >>

thats Europe and Croatia, our touristic moto is; "small country forgreat vacation" ....i say; small country for great ripp off" ...in everysense

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

I was possibly the last person to give one of these away on this group just before Christmas 2010.

Subject: Xmas Special. Free to a good home. OSCILLOSCOPE GW GOS-522B 20Mhz Dual Trace.

I offered it only for a local person to pick up because of the packaging and postage problems, yet I had emails from all over the world, even well after it had gone.

A young man from an adjoining suburb picked it up pretty much straight away, so I think you would be lucky to find a free or cheap one that lasts any length of time.

Good luck with your search. You sound like the sort of person that needs a little encouragement and support, so keep reading and being involved in the Australian Electronics Newsgroup, even if we seem to tolerate a few very strange posters.

They ain't all that bad. You do need to ignore a lot of it. Fortunately most of these weird characters have good Electronics Industry knowledge and experience, and I would think that every regular reader of this group, would have got lots of good free information and advise from them.

Cheers Don...

============================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"Don McKenzie" wrote

thanks for your kind word of support....yes, you are right...i welcome any kind of support, suggestions and advices since i am stil learning about electronics and since Croatian standard is as it is, being in electronics is even harder, especially when we touch the subject of equipment...most of things are home made or i had to search or wait for months and months to get some at aceptable price i can afford to myself...

just one more example....i bought a Gordak 952A hot air soldering station....a guy from China who is working in Croatia as supplier of all kinds of China stuff did get a price of hot air soldering station for 26US$ and i was waiting nearly 6 weeks to get it and i paid for it 75$ in total...he took me 50$ for favor and delivery....while the same station like that, at our local store for electronics, cost nearly 300US$ which was just a DREAM ON for me...

to not think i am making up;

see 5th from up or 3rd from bottom...1340kn which is like 270US$ now and its lowered price now but it was aprox 10% higher a year ago when i did bought mine...

and regarding people...dont worry, we have the same jokers on our local news groups as well...so i am not surprised at all...most of times i have no problms with anyone despite i like to participate in many topcis :)

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

Because of the Internet, prices have become more competitive, and much fairer all round.

When I started selling on the net in 1993, I was able to sell an item for sometimes 3 or more times the price I paid for it, and I would still be perhaps half the price of local store prices.

Today, if you can clear a 20 to 25% profit margin, you may stay in business.

It is now all about a global market. I get most of my development boards these days from Olimex in Bulgaria, as they make a good range of cost effective programmers and development boards, and are fairly reliable. And I find most people in business in Europe, have reasonably good English.

BTW I have 2 Croatian and 2 Czech Republic electricians living next door. They are on a working Visa (I think 6 months) and have a contract doing Industrial runway lighting installation at the local Melbourne International Airport at Tullamarine. Unfortunately their English is very limited, so we haven't been able to chat about their work at all. I found out that they all spoke a common language, and they have an Australian living with them, to steer them along the way.

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"Don McKenzie" wrote

well, thats the point...market is globalized , but our local sellers, private/indviduals and official are like they were sleeping for last 30 years...i understand the fact how our custom fees and charges for shipping are very high...but at final price sellers are expecting a profite even up to 100% so they set the prices high up to the sky...and thinking like; "ok, we will sell 2-3 pieces a month and we got our salary"

i always think consumeristic in my services i give ...i rather make a 20% of profite per sell or service and have 10 of them a day, then have 100% of profite but have one or even none a day....

regarding English...i am considered as average English speaker....in Croatia most of generations that were born since 1980's and later are pretty much familiar with English language...some more, some less, it also depends of your work you do and how much you give an effort to learn the language beside the regular school education of English language... IT and electronics domain people are usually handling English pretty well...

Croatian and Czech languages just have some (dozen or two) similar words, but generally speaking its like you compare Spanish and Italian...so i really cant imagine what could be their "common" language they were using :))

anyway, i am not surprised you had Croats as neighbors, Croatian community is one of well know in Australia, i had some relatives there too, so as my wife's relatives...anyway, dont ask me why didnt i ask them to help me about scope, just like my family that is in Germany; anything i ask them they say; "we cant, there is no any...we cant find, we cant get, we have no store for that, noone, nothing, none...its imspossible.." so i gave up of even asking anything and i found out how i got more help from people world wide who are absolute strangers to me then my own so called family...

last thing i asked them to help me find was a Dual turntable needle, what was around 12 years ago....i couldnt find it in Croatia at all...and i found it at Conrad Electronics (but they didnt send things to Croatia at that time) so i asked my cousin in Berlin to help me get it and to send me it privately in letter...i gave him even a address of Conrad store in Berlin....and of course, i even said i will pay for it....but after 2 weeks of waiting he told me how there is no any on stock ....and i was sooo pissed since i saw on website there is, i took a damn phone and i called directly to Berlin to that store and asked do they have that part number...they said no ATM in their store but they do on stock, so they can have it in store within 3 working days as they will pull it from another store of Conrad as well...and it was obvious how my cousin did just ask and turn away as fast as he could just so he can tell me how he did give a try... after that i never asked anything from my cousin again, especially since it was not first time they did cut me off like that....and i still have that Dual turntable but never got that needle....i would rather throw it away or give it somone for free then to humiliate myself in front of my own family who is just making a fool out of me...

around mid 90's i bought some very old radio station Kenwood TRIO TS-510 and it got some weak tubes so i needed new ones....and i i was talking with one radio amateur from Ukraine, Kiev city and he said he have those tubes so we made a deal if i dont get any soon here in Croatia then i will make a deal with him....since he was sending me a QSL card he was able to see my home address in call book, 3 weeks later i did receive a small package with tubes in it....and letter as well so as QSL card....and he just told me he wish me good luck with it....and he didnt charge me even for shipping...i was stunned...sometimes i run on such a great people and as i said, they are like absolute strangers to me....but they show more effort and will to help then even some of my close family members....unbelieveable and sad...on other hand, this is one of reasons why i did ask here, coz i do believe in such people and sicne i am like that as well...i met some Philipines family in Bacolod city over the internet and we had a contact for a long...i bought some toys for kids but i realized how shipping will cost me 5 times more then 3 Barbie dolls i bought....so i send them 100US$ for Xmass in order to cheer them up, finally, average salary is 150 to 200US$ there so i am sure it did help them well...i am sure how they had the same thought since i was, frankly, like absolute stranger to them, however, i was glad i could help a bit, anyway, i got few letters from them and many pictures...even some beach sand from Phillipines, i was so happy knowing they were too...actually, they asked me how can they repay me and all i asked was some beach sand from there :)

dang, i hope it was not too hard to follow me up since my thoughts are so mixed up and i writte just like the thought come out of my mind...sometimes even jumping from subject to subject :))

PS: if those Croats are still there at your "next door"; tell them they have greeting from Karlovac city :))

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

The worst country bureaucrats I have had to deal with are the Romanians. I have a very good friend, and long time business associate there (Pavel at http://www.hpinfotech.ro/) who writes Codevision C compiler for AVRs.

If Croatia is back 30 years, I think they (Romania) are back 100 years, as we have to account for every cent transferred across international borders, and continually swap invoices that must match precisely. We have to account for every cent for intermediate miscellaneous bank fees also.

Brazil is very bad for customs, sometimes wanting more than 100%+ of the import price of hardware.

yes, for sure!

I can't expand on that one, it is what I recall they told me. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I didn't notice that :-)

No go for it, as I say I know this group is reasonably active with electronics subjects. Many other groups have come to a stand still.

will do :-)

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"Don McKenzie" wrote

hehehe, well, i must admit i got a feeling you are one of talktive ones on this group, what i welcome sooo much since i enjoy to type a lot :))) after all, its a great oportunity to practice my English language :))

btw; little tip since i am pretty sure you will do it wrong; if you will speak to them, just to make sure you pronounce the name of city well, or at least to some recognizable level, to not confuse them, dont say; Karlovac as "karlovak" but as "karlovatz" i am sure they would immediately confirm you....anyway...i presume they are Dalmatians...probably from Split city or some island of Dalmatian island area, coz most of people from that part of Croatia are going to Australia...western part of seaside goes to Italy and continental north part are usually going to Germany and Austria...eastern part of continental area is going to Hungary (but not to work there since Hungars are coming more to us when is about work)

thats all for now...i better go silent a bit to not make some bad reputation of myself as endless ranter on this group....i am saying this out of my previous experience where i was named as "king of monologues" :))))

PS: i got a contact from online game Second Life where i asked in public group chat and some man responded me regarding oscilloscopes (actually i know him for some time but never got a clue he is in electronics)....he had a electronics service in states but had to close it down and run to Jordan....but he promised me how he will ask his sister to go into his storage and to find some older ones he got which are just collecting dust and to make some arangement how to ship it to me and to set some price....but in his observation regarding it he gave me a clue like the price wont be a matter of discussion since those are old ones like 2ch/50MHz and how basic price will be more focused on shipping costs...and how main problem is to make her sister to go there and take them out, fortunately his sister is in electronics as well so she would know what to search for in storage....so, i might have some luck about that....if the shipping price will be around 100$ and if he ask me like 50-100$ for the scope i will handle the price in total :))

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

All,

You should hear him after a few Beers.

Mikko

Reply to
Mick DaDik

hehehehe, at least this group never falls asleep then :))

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

You gan get a new 10MHz 1 ch for less than that.

I trust these guys. They appear to be prepared to ship to croatia. Dunno how much they charge for that or where they'd ship from. (UK or AU)

maybe buy three and sell two of them to cover your costs.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Not a chance I'm afraid. Postage is insanely expensive from Australia to Europe for any decent weight.

Good to see someone taking my advice!

Have you tried the EEVblog forum? it is now much more frequented than the aus.electronics forum, and many people on there from your neck of the woods.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

On 5/03/2011 6:19 PM, kreed wrote: ...

I can confirm that, just posted a bottle of scotch to my old man for his birthday - 1.6 kg total weight and paid just under $60 postage via airmail to Europe.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Not a chance I'm afraid. Postage is insanely expensive from Australia to Europe for any decent weight.

Good to see someone taking my advice!

Have you tried the EEVblog forum? it is now much more frequented than the aus.electronics forum, and many people on there from your neck of the woods.

Dave.

hmm...i posted it directly on Dave Jones blog site in comments...actually his video about scopes made me idea to try like that since i also noticed how in USA and Australia people are literally gettin rid of scopes even for free, especialy those around 10...15...20 MHz....

anyway...i was just about to selfpraise myself how i bought one that came from France....a old man went to retirement and was selling loads of stuff and got few scopes, old ones....so, i got arangement to get one...and it costed me 105 euros in total, with scope on my hands...what was excellent price for Tektronix 465 2x100MHz which is more then enough for my needs... i saw there was some 4 x 100MHz too but for 170 euros...but i didnt need that neithre it was in my financial plan..

however, thaks a lot for for your suggestions...

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag