Re: Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

As a follow up, would this do if I can't get the same component?

The output on the original is 12.8V but this is 12.6 - I don't know what the tolerances are but I'm guessing it would be regulated in some way.

Reply to
Matthew Kirkcaldie

Near enough. What about Dick Smiths?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"Matthew Kirkcaldie"

** Looks ideal.

As would the similar DSE M2851

BTW both unit are made to " class 2 " or double insulation requirements.

Important if that Yamaha receiver is " class 2 " - as I bet it is.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Phil - there's no ground on the plug so I would guess double insulated is the way to go.

The DSE part is cheaper and available locally - thanks!

Reply to
Matthew Kirkcaldie

That tranny will work just fine. The only thing that I would say is that power transformers in domestic equipment are usually what's known as a "designated safety component". This means that they formed part of the original design approval which declared the unit physically safe - it won't set fire to your house in the event of it failing - and electrically safe - it won't make the equipment live in the event of a breakdown of the insulation on the winding wire or terminations. You can identify components which form part of a safety spec, and are thus "designated", because they have an exclamation mark inside a triangle, marked by them on the schematic.

If you do substitute a non-Yamaha transformer for the original, this would almost certainly compromise the original safety approvals for the equipment, and if there were any unforseen unfortunate consequences down the line, Yamaha would have no liability at all.

Almost certainly, replacing this tranny with a substitute, will cause no problems at all, but I think that you should be aware of exactly what you are doing for your own peace of mind. For what its worth, as a professional repairer with a legal duty of care to the public, I would never substitute a transformer that is going to run 24 hours a day, as a standby tranny is, nor would I recommend others to do so. At the very least, I would try to check, through the suppliers or even directly with the manufacturers, that any tranny you intend to use is rated for continuous operation. I would also contact a Yamaha spares agent to check the price and availability of a genuine replacement, after you have proven that all is well by checking with your substitute in place. Not trying to put you off or anything, just advice ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks Arfa, wise words there and I will certainly think it over.

Reply to
Matthew Kirkcaldie

Problem is, Arfa is right 99.9% of the time.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

"Meat Plow"

** LOL - says who ???

Someone who is also wrong 99.9% of the time.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Also meaning you included?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Just killfile him Arfa. His signal to noise is about the highest of any newsgroup contributor so really not worth wading through for the 1% of useful stuff he posts.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Give it up and walk away with a bit of dignity, you poor sad medicated fool. You had a pop at me once before on a different group, and eventually came off worst. Perhaps I am the scum of the planet, and if that's what you believe, then by all means, carry on calling me it - I really don't care, but with each increasingly pathetic post, which follows in your normal pattern of first unleashing an unwarranted tirade of filth, you make yourself look less and less credible.

Having read your posts in your more lucid moments, I don't doubt that you have technical expertise, but any respect that you might build up for yourself in the on-line electronics service community in between 'episodes', is immediately blown again when those deformed neurons in your addled brain, start firing randomly again.

I don't care if you disagree with something I post, and it's fine to say so - it's what debate amongst SANE people is about, but when you start in this way, you are just out of line. *I* certainly don't want to see it on here, and I'm sure that most other regulars don't. Using the ultra foul language that you do, in the extremely angry way that you do, might be the norm in the community that you live in, but don't inflict it on internet newsgroups, where there are likely to be much more sensitive souls than me, and worse, children reading it.

Now go and take your meds, and if you don't have meds to control this behaviour, I would STRONGLY recommend that you go and get some professional help before you do something a lot more serious than abusing the pivileges that you ISP provides you with ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Dave Plowman (News)"

** Excellent idea.

Then I can get stuck into this despicable, gutless pile of pommy excrement with no interference.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I would highly recommend killfiling him also, my enjoyment of the group went up considerably after doing so, and as a bonus, I do get to see pieces of his inane posts but only when much more sane people are 'replying' to him! :-)

-- Cheers,

Marc

  • My email address requires the identical words and
  • underscores removed to email me
Reply to
Marc