Have you seen one of these?

Hi All,

I'm trying to find a part number for the following device:

It is a card reader of sorts, and somebody once mentioned that it might work by using IR. I'm not too sure. The cards have no magstripe etc (look a bit like mifare cards), however this device is about 10 - 15 years old, so I don't think it works on prox.

Pics can be found here:

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks Chris.

Reply to
- = krusty = -

judging by the swipe groove and arrow those cards have some sort of embedded pattern that must be passed infront of a reader.

I've seen ones that had aluminium and/or iron discs inside them and some sort of metal detector to detect the discs - basically an opaque punchcard,

these weren't new when I encountered them 12 years ago.

If you want to see how it works butcher, or xray, a card,

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Hi Jason,

Thanks. I have butchered a card and found that it's made up of two layers of plastic laminated over a very thin black layer of something. Unfortunately, the cards are too well made to be able to split the halves apart.

Still haven't had any luck in finding a pinout / protocol doc for the device though. I suspect that it *might* be RS-232 so I'm going to guess at the power cords, plug it in and see what happens. Might blow a serial port, but what the hell :)

Reply to
- = krusty = -

It's probably a Weigand protocol over rs485 interface.

Reply to
swanny