Re: Goodbye HDMI?

Wow, they've already got the top of the range "gold plated" version Cat5 eternet cable for the "Audiophile enthusiasts" @ US$499.00 for 1.5 meter.

"will bring out all the nuances in digital audio reproduction"

Vox

Cat5 using RJ-45?

Great when someone accidentally, and very easily cross plugs them in a jungle of Ethernet and Audio cables.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I don't remeber the specifics but anything more than elv on cat5e aint legal anyway yes ? so allthe proposals wont meet the law on the subject

--
Reply to
atec77

But you shouldn't see anything other than ELV on any of those anyway. The only risk I can think of, is the RJ45 phone standard, which on ring, can go up to 90vac or so? That would be pushing "ELV", better hope pins

4 & 5 aren't being used by anything...
Reply to
John Tserkezis

pushing 100W through a RJ45 that's living on the edge! perhaps it's 4X +48V and 4x -48V at 0.5A each?

USB over IP is avalable now (for linux atleast)

video over IP is nothing new either,

persumably the power is common-mode so it won't fry existing circuitry

Jasen Betts

Ahh, just read the article like I should have in the first place. 100W power also supplied. In that case, things *can* get messy.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

Yes 100w well over the copper rating on cat5e as I read it , sure as s**te would warm quickly

--
Reply to
atec77

And some interesting sparks if one should pull the plug under power.

I suppose that it has to be taken seriously, there are some heavy hitters involved.

Reply to
keithr

I can't see it happening here any time soon no matter who tries it's simply unsafe AND illegal

Reply to
atec7 7

How is digital audio anything but finite?

Reply to
globular

Apparently ELV goes upto 120VDC.

At 840mA using all the pairs common mode is only 210mA on each contact.

120V is only a little more than the peaks in the telephone ring signal.

I'm hoping they fit the sockets with switches so that depressing the clip cuts the current, else yeah could be sparky.

Jasen Betts

elv is specified under the telecomms guides as not exceeding 50vdc and a proportuatly amount less of ac m the ring is also accomodated as a pulse service

a pair of rg contacs burnat 100 wats a pair if withdrawn while energised try it

still aint legal

--
Reply to
atec77

Lol, there a product for every idiot out there.

Reply to
Clocky

Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"

Reply to