Radiation (?) question

You know how when you move a battery radio close to a electro magnetic / electro mechanical device, it picks up static and noise? well I recently bought an exercise machine, and was surprised to find that when I used it, and was listening to a radio nearby, the radio went 'beserk'! So I kept moving the radio further away, but was still getting the interference. So I checked to see how far it would need to be removed to avoid interference, and was surprised to discover that it was still picking up static and noise from the exercise machine several rooms away! I then took it outside to a distance of about 15 metres and it was still getting interference! My question is.. what does this signify or indicate? Does it mean that the machine is harmful to health in some way? My experience has always been that moving a radio away from electronic devices by just one to a few meters will cause the interference to cease. and since the radio is battery operated, it cannot be picking up interference via the mains. ???. Thanks for any help.

This is the machine..

rgds,

Pete
-------
?If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question?!?

?Wayne Swan threatening the Banks, is a bit like being savaged by a dead sheep!?

"The only way right now to restore integrity to our Parliament, to restore the
reputation of our polity, is for this sad and sorry Parliament to be dissolved
and for there to be an election" - Tony Abbott, Federal Opposition Leader

Give Juliar the boot!.. http://ausnet.info/pics/boot.jpg
Reply to
felix_unger

"felix_unger"

** Looks like it has a brush motor like a vacuum cleaner - so there is arcing on the commutator.

Arcing produces local RFI.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Can you take it back it is illegal creating interferance to transmisions. There are noise suppresion filters which plug between power point and device $$

Petzl

"Petzl"

** Bullshit it is.

The machine has C-Tick approval so whatever EMI it generates is within the allowed limit.

Noise on the AM band is the least controlled sort of EMI.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Waste of money. AM radios are extremely susceptible to interference. Even interference that is within allowable limits.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

/

ly

as

elp.

I have to agree with Trev. The better the am radio, the worse the interference susceptibility is. Either tune into a FM station, or buy a really cheap am radio, or exercise on your machine listening to a cd or something. In other words, use your brain man.

Reply to
Coach

Phil Allison wrote

We'll see...

Or claims it has, anyway...

You don?t know that.

But you don?t see that effect with such small motors normally.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"Rod Speed"

** A 1kW brush motor is NOT small and at close range and in weak AM signal conditions there is always some EMI.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I can listen to the radio via my smart phone app and earbuds if I want

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
?If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question?!?

"Julia finally got something right. Older people don't vote Labor, because they
have seen too many incompetent, mismanaging, money-wasting Labor governments"

"If the WORLD as a whole cut ALL emissions tomorrow, the average temperature of
the planet's not going to drop for several hundred years, perhaps over on
thousand years" - Tim Flannery, Climate Commissioner

?Wayne Swan threatening the Banks, is a bit like being savaged by a dead sheep!?

"The only way right now to restore integrity to our Parliament, to restore the
reputation of our polity, is for this sad and sorry Parliament to be dissolved
and for there to be an election" - Tony Abbott, Federal Opposition Leader

Give Juliar the boot!.. http://ausnet.info/pics/boot.jpg
Reply to
felix_unger

Phil Allison wrote

Few of those exercise machines are anything like that bad EMI wise.

It happens at much more than close range.

But not normally anything like that bad.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Useless telling Felix to listen to FM, his hero Alan Jones is only on AM

Reply to
keithr

I too no longer have wet dreams I also have dust storms

--
Petzl
Reply to

This though is a vibrator don't think the Asian girl gets on with you?

Reply to
Petzl

Not in Melbourne..

[...]

Must be nice cleaning up with a feather duster :)

Reply to
TonyS

Oh god! The most boring activity ever invented by man.

Reply to
keithr

keithr wrote

Not when I am practicing engine failure on takeoff on the fairways it aint...

Reply to
Rod Speed

Andrew Bolt then, they're all the same.

Reply to
keithr

I guess that's why it's the most popular solo sport in the world..

"Golf is the most popular sport which can be played solo (without requiring a partner). It is a game where focus is completely on individual brilliance - ones performance in Golf is not influenced by the opponent's. A golf course can offer unique scenic beauty and natural environment unmatched by any other sport. Though the sport is played regularly only by the wealthier class, people love to watch golf. Golf has the record for an individual sports-person earning the highest amount of money ever. As of 2010, Tiger Woods has earned close to $900 million in his career so far. He has earned around $90 million in 2010 from winnings and endorsements alone. "

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
?If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question?!?

"Julia finally got something right. Older people don't vote Labor, because they
have seen too many incompetent, mismanaging, money-wasting Labor governments"

"If the WORLD as a whole cut ALL emissions tomorrow, the average temperature of
the planet's not going to drop for several hundred years, perhaps over on
thousand years" - Tim Flannery, Climate Commissioner

?Wayne Swan threatening the Banks, is a bit like being savaged by a dead sheep!?

"The only way right now to restore integrity to our Parliament, to restore the
reputation of our polity, is for this sad and sorry Parliament to be dissolved
and for there to be an election" - Tony Abbott, Federal Opposition Leader

Give Juliar the boot!.. http://ausnet.info/pics/boot.jpg
Reply to
felix_unger

On 18-May-2012 9:29 PM, keithr took his nose out of reading 'The Age' long enuff to write..:

Just like you lefties..