Protecting horn switch contacts against arcing damage

Well it's half on topic....horn switch contacts in a 24V vehicle.

The contacts seem to have lost whatever protective plating they had. If I clean them up they work well for a week or so and then oxidise up and become intermittent.

Any suggestions on some sort of protective gel I can apply. I've the usual contact cleaners etc but nothing for protecting contacts switching a reasonably large current.

thanks.

Reply to
Nik Rim

If you are concerened about them arcing, (which is then pitting, burning and damaging the contacts) try a 1-2UF poly capacitor across the contacts.

IF they are switching a logic circuit, or something that draws virtually no current (not enough to "burn" through any crap that accumulates), you could try adding a 1k resistor across the load. (ie

- if the contacts switch the load to earth, then add the resistor between the contact that doesn't go to earth, and 24v supply.

Reply to
kreed