Photovoltaic Devices and Applications On-Line Course

Photovoltaic Devices and Applications
International Internet On-Line Course
25 July through 17 October 2005 (12 weeks)
The University of New South Wales Centre for Photovoltaic
Engineering (UNSW CPVE) is offering the on-line course
Photovoltaic Devices and Applications.
This course is designed for people with engineering back-
grounds or 3rd year and above engineering students who are
interested in working within the renewable energy sector.
Applicants for the twelve-week course need to supply
a summary of their background in Photovoltaics or a similar
technical area and should expect to spend a minimum of
six hours per week in study.
The course modules include the following:
1 The Characteristics of Sunlight
2 Semiconductor and P-N Junctions
3 The Behaviour of Solar Cells
4 Cell Properties and Design
5 PV Cell Interconnection and Module Fabrication
6 Stand-Alone Photovoltaic System Components
7 Designing Stand-Alone Photovoltaic Systems
8 Specific Purpose Photovoltaic Applications
9 Remote Area Supply Systems
10 Grid-Connected Photovoltaic Systems
11 Photovoltaic Water Pumping System Components
12 PV Water Pumping System Design
25 multimedia lectures (45-50 minutes each) are supplied on disc
in addition to traditional teaching materials.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants
will receive a certificate of study from the
Centre for Photovoltaic Engineering at
The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
Places are limited.
Further information regarding the on-line course
(including registration details and a sample lecture)
can be found at the following web address:

(click on Photovoltaic Devices and Applications).
For more information about
The UNSW Centre for Photovoltaic Engineering
and
The ARC Centre of Excellence in
Advanced Silicon Photovoltaics and Photonics
can be found at

Rob Largent
Manager, Design Assistance Division
Centre for Photovoltaic Engineering
The University of New South Wales
This message will be posted on
23 June 2005 and
Reply to
UNSW Photovoltaics On-Line Edu
For anyone who's considering this -- I took it quite awhile ago (2002?), and found it very good. It's one of the best uses of "live books" (the bulk of the instructional materials are HTML files on a CD) that I've seen -- there are a lot of animations, calculators, etc. that you could never get from a printed book.
Reply to
Joel Kolstad
If it's an "online" course, why do they have to give you the info on CD?
Out of curiosity, is there any cost for the course?
Dave :)
Reply to
David L. Jones
The "online" part is (or was when I took it) just a bulletin board... and quizzes! There were two full CDs when I took it, and it appears they've expanded the contents since then, so for most people it wouldn't be viable to download it all.
When I took it there was! Some hundreds of dollars (maybe $399?), but it was quite inexpensive compared to what U.S. colleges charge. It also came with a "personal use" copy of a cool little program that lets you size a PV systems based on your location (it uses historical cloud coverage data), loads, etc. The commercial version of the program was some thousands of dollars alone.
---Joel
Reply to
Joel Kolstad
Probably the same as a uni subject, approx $600 - 680
Reply to
Alex Gibson