OT: house wiring query

Hi, I've just been up into the ceiling of a relatively new residence we have a stake in, the wiring is in good nick, but looks like it's been shonkily installed. Wiring fanouts use heavily overstacked bluepoints, sometimes 4 or

5 cables are rammed in, it's a mess.

The jointing could be separated out into multiple bluepoints but that just creates more spaghetti. What I'd really like to see is some sort of JB with nice termination blocks for L, N and E, so that all the cables could just be led in and terminated. I did consider chocolate block terminals, but they need to be looped, taking up terminal room and creating another possibility for hot joints. The best blocks would seem to be solid metal, like the ones used for earth - can they be used for A and N?

Can't see anything remotely like that on the Clipsal website, is anyone aware of a good way to handle this situation? TIA

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Clipsal's neutral links are available as active links too - different colour base/lid. To find more info on the Clipsal site, enter trade area and search for say "active link".

I've seen their active/neutral/earth links used as fan-out points in domestic wiring.

Reply to
who where

Hi Bruce, I have just completed a similar tidying up process of my house wiring. I prefer the HPM website as it is quite easy to navigate and find info so I tend to use their products over Clipsal.

The common old junction box and insulated screw terminals is the way to go and these are available in various sizes to accommodate the respective jointing situation. See pages 83 and 84 of the installation accessories section of their catalogue here.

Ross

[...]

Ross Herbert

You can buy switchboard "neutral links" (solid bar with a varying number of screw terminals and a translucent coloured plastic cover secured by a thumbscrew) in green, red as well as the traditional black covers. (for three phase gear you might even be able to get white and blue?) I have seen them in stock at the Haymans trade counter. This is probably what you need.

Because of the thumbscrew holding the cover on, rather than proper screws these wouldn't be safe to put anywhere where the public (especially kids) might be able to reach them. If in the ceiling, they might have to be put somewhere where they cant easily be stepped on, knelt on etc, their cover might not be as strong as the hard plastic used in a junction box. Probably OK in a ceiling or wall cavity though

The other alternative, it MAY be possible to buy junction boxes with internal busbars, though I have not seen them. You used to be able to buy junction boxes with 5 large screw terminals moulded into the base (earth with double screws in middle) and a hard but flexible cover you would prise off with a screwdriver to get to the innards, but haven't seen them for years.

Reply to
kreed

It is EXCEPTIONALLY foolish for anyone with limited electrical knowledge to attempt to modify their own house electricals. It is just as EXCEPTIONALLY foolish for others who are not qualified electricians to offer advice.

I don't know where to start in describing how wrong some of the advice has been. If you have to ask such questions - you shouldn't be attempting it.

Get it fixed by a professional. Do you really think you'll save money by doing this yourself, particularly when there's a risk of fire, or worse, electrocution?

Forget the wiring - do you have RCD on all circuits? If you must fiddle, make sure you at least protect yourself.

Get it done properly by someone who actually knows what they are doing. There are many things 'handymen' can do - mains electrical work is not one of them.

Marc Hillman (Licensed Electrician)

Reply to
Marc Hillman

maybe, as a licensed electrician yourself, you could clarify what particular bits of advice are wrong and correct them.

From what I can gather a "professional" made this mess to start with

Reply to
kreed

It was one of your colleagues that put this mess in. I may get a sparkie to fix it, even thought I've been engineering industrial electrics for over 30 years. At very least, some technical direction is obviously required, given the track record IME of the residential electrical trade.

Reply to
Bruce Varley