Mythbusters

Great episode tonight! They blew up a plane, made a remote control Police car, and shot bullets out of a car fuse holder. Where do I get a job like that?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

That explosive decompression gig in the plane was real interesting ... They had to go to some extremes to really damage the plane.

Did you notice, SBS did the Mythbusters "chicken gun" show at 5pm?

Those guys must have a ball doing those experiments ... And they're getting paid for it too..... 8-o

Reply to
dmm

"David L. Jones"

** Absolutely - well up to their very high standard.

** Sure - but that is like saying the Beatles were a four part harmony group.
** A weapons research lab maybe.

Like Woomera was in the 1950s and 60s.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On 28 Mar 2005 02:49:21 -0800, "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I hear Osama is recruiting ...

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I'm looking forward to seeing new episodes. So far they've only shown series 1 in Australia, and that seems to be about 12-18 months old. Foxtel has a habit of claiming shows are "new" when they really aired in the USA a few years ago, and given that they've already shown series

1 at least twice (second time in tandem with SBS on FTA) hopefully it won't be too long before we see series 2 *somewhere* on AU TV :)
Reply to
rowan194

The problem with doing that stuff is that not only does it have to work, it has to look good on TV. This might mean doing a perfectly good job over and over and over. After a while ot becomes a chore rather than fun. Might have a few problems blowing up a plane over and over I guess :))

Jim

Reply to
Jim

**Kinda like that Honda Accord Euro advertisement. 600 takes, before they got it right!
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Particulary when you're only allowed to fire the musket under military supervision! :)

-- John H

Reply to
John_H

Re the police car, Mythbusters version: Kinda disappointing. If you want to rip out the diff and rear axle properly, you must use a strong pair of tire chains, not weak wimpy steel cable.

Reply to
Hercules Smackbottom

Yep, the producer can be a right royal PITA. Must admit I got out of the TV business when I noticed that our on air "stars" (well they thought they were) wore their makeup on the street....and the females as well. I suppose thats normal for the cafe late set these days, but it was rather....umm....unusual back in Fred Flintstones days :)

Cheers Jim

Reply to
Jim

I enjoy the show, but I find it pretty disappointing that the guys falsely project that the show is about science, and so often project false conclusions from their tests. It seems to be an opportunity to have fun while doing real science, but they don't even seem to know what science is.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I think it was 238 or something like that, but they still cheated by splicing two sections together.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

**According to this:

It was 607 takes. If you have alternate information, I would be interested in hearing about it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

You mean it didn't "just work"?

Reply to
T.T.

** No examples in sight .............

** Unlike Clifford Heath - who has no idea what a logical point is.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It isn't boring science, or product endorsement or anything like that.

It is practical testing.

"This is an urban myth that is supposed to have happened", "Can we make it happen". Only then will we look at the science and try and explain it.

Reply to
Terry Collins

Did anyone see the one about spinning CDs till they shatter?

--
John

Life is short eat chocolate
Reply to
Chasing Kate

Just had a vision of my cdrom drive going out of control LOL

Reply to
Jim

On 28 Mar 2005 12:30:48 -0800, "rowan194" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Here's a sneak preview:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

That one works much better with a paper plate. It must be accurately centred, then you can spin it up to 10,000 RPM. At some stage centrifugal force will cause the paper plate to disintregate with a shattering bang.

This was demonstrated during a "science circus" when I was in high school. Most impressive.

Reply to
Hercules Smackbottom