Mains voltage tollerance in Victoria.

Howdy everyone,

I'm suffering from high mains voltage. I live up in the Dandenong Ranges, Victoria. Anyone else had trouble and been down the path I'm about to go down fighting their distributor?

A call to my distributors call centre on the weekend was a complete waste of time, I'm guessing the call centre worker does not have " voltage too high" in their "i know no more then the customer book", sorry, assistance guide.

Page 13 of this pdf

$file/code%5felec.pdf states a 240v supply cannot be higher then 6% indefinitely, and peak at +10% for less then 1 minute.

I'm at 248-252 during the day normally (which of course is JUST within the limits) but it does now and then end up at about 254.

At night in the wee hours of the morning I'm getting 278 volts for a lot more then the allowed 1 minute.

I'm logging with an APC usp, a fluke meter and a brymen meter, the fluke is within 2 months of calibration, and all three agree within 1 volt.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
none

"none"

** How is that a big problem for you ?

Worse happens in Perth and all over WA every night.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The average al chepo computer SMPS is now designed around 230vac. The brifge rectifier smoothing caps are typically two 200v 85 deg caps.

280vac supply will result in almost 200 volts on a 200v 85deg cap. They don't last that long. I shouldn't have to protect every computer with a UPS because the Electricity distribution company can't get it right. Standards are put in place for a reason.

MH

Reply to
none

So what's the tolerance allowed in Western Australia?

Reply to
Friday

"none" wrote

I'm suffering from high mains voltage.

***** And Onanism!!!!!!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

of

high"

$file/code%5felec.pdf

+10%

is

I ran my computer under similar conditions for about 5 years in rural NSW. That was 3 years ago and the PSU caps still haven't failed. (Can't say the same about the fan, I've been manually spinning it with a match stick to get it started lately.)

... johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

Try spraying some lubricant on the bearing, you may have to pull a small circlip off to get at it. They're usually bronze bearings.

Friday

Reply to
Friday

Ranges,

waste

guide.

$file/code%5felec.pdf

the

NSW.

the

get

Thanks for the suggestion, Friday. To be frank, I'm just lazy. About 4 years ago, I had a similar problem and ended up using a mixture of oil and vaseline, which worked well to lubricate and buffer the jumping around of the shaft from wear. At about $20-$30 for a replacement and 5 min to fit it, you'll have a good idea of just how slack and cheap I can be. (Despite this, my "fix" did last 4 years) ... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

"Chris Jones"

** What conspiracy theory BOLLOCKS !

** MORE conspiracy theory BOLLOCKS !

** You are not too sure about anything.

Large variations in user demand through the day are what cause the AC supply voltage to rise and fall.

Suppliers get more complaints when the AC voltage is LOW at peak times than when it is high late at night and in the wee hours.

Reply to
Phil Allison

They will also be able to sell you more power if the mains voltage is too high. (Not in things like water heaters which have thermostats, but in things like fridge motors, power transformers, linear power supplies etc. that run less efficiently when the voltage is sufficiently high). It is in someone's monetary interest to adjust the mains voltage as high as they are allowed to, though I'm not sure if the company that sets the voltage is the same company that makes the profit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones