Mains relay box with dry contact input

I'm looking for small quantities (usually less than ten a year) of a pre-built and type-approved box of tricks that will take a dry contact input and switch on or off a standard 240v mains output socket.

Does anyone know of anything that might suit?

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Pete

how many amps @ 240v ? what is it driving ? What rate of speed does it have to turn on/off at ?

What sort of input contact did you have in mind, can it sit at 240v potential or must it be isolated from the mains ?

Reply to
kreed

"Pete"

** Err - " dry contact = what ?

Zero current ??

What ever for ?

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

2A would be plenty.

Usually one 240VAC bell, sometimes two, 80VA or so each. Sometimes, it may be used to switch other devices, like a 240VAC light.

Usually 2 or 3 seconds on, up to 32 times a day, at least one minute between on periods. Sometimes, as short as 0.25 seconds on, sometimes as long as 8 seconds on.

A low voltage relay contact will be used to drive it, and the switching input *must* be isolated from the mains.

Does this help? If you know of something that won't quite meet the specs, please suggest it anyway.

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Pete

Thanks, Phil. I do realise that the term "dry contact" is not technically correct, but it's often used for the type of device I'm looking for, as well as in many other industries. I am aware that the "official" meaning of the term is that no voltage is applied to the switch while it is actually switching.

So, let's just assume that what I meant was that I need to switch this device on and off with a normally open relay contact. I am not able to provide voltage to the switching device.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

Doesn't sound like you'd want to build a kit, but DSE was selling something like this. There might still be a few around in stores. Have a look at

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** But ought not be on sale - as they extraordinarily DANGEROUS things to have in the home.

The cheap radio link is no way accident safe, interference proof or other user proof.

This may well count it out for the OP's app as well.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I've never used one, and I don't think I ever will ... for the reasons you just gave. But I presume that they have a "C-Tick" on them to give the impression that they're wonderful?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

** Like with the Arlec (and Jaycar ) 120 volt auto-transformers - the safety issues cannot be discovered by simply looking at the product itself. Which is all an inspections lab is required to do.

Our law makers have to BAN certain items as being inherently unsafe to have on sale to the public.

They could start with the current crop of CFLs.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison