laptop surges mains

All of a sudden, now when I plug in my laptop at my house, the surge protector is triggered which causes most power points in the house to lose power.

What could be the cause of this? Is it possibly due to having left the power cord of the laptop in a hot car?

Reply to
Chris Read

does it occur when you plug just the psu and not the computer in ?

--

Reply to
atec77

Sounds more likely to be an earth leakage trip.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

But it's only started happening now. The hot car is the only thing I can think of.

Reply to
Chris Read

did any of the power supply or lead or computer get wet?

Reply to
F Murtz

Nope

Reply to
Chris Read

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

  1. It's a Core Balance Relay or "Earth Leakage Detector" which is tripping - not a surge protector.
  2. Sylvia is correct in her suggestion; there's a definite path between Active and Earth in your cable or device, which is tripping the CBR.
  3. Plug the power cord in _without_ the power supply attached. If the CBR trips again, it's your power cord; if it doesn't, it's your power supply.
  4. Replacement cloverleaf power cables are at Jaycar. Replacement aftermarket power supplies are - including postage through eBay. Replacement "genuine" power supplies are around from the manufacturer, 0 from Dick Smith or 0 from Harvey Norman.
--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

That?s true of all faults.

Its possible, but unlikely.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The power supply "line-lump" is probably faulty. Leave it, or just the 'cord' in you hot car is unlikey to be the cause. More often than not they get roasting hot just by themselves, especially when powering a running laptop with the battery demanding charging.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Yes.

None of mine do.

Ditto.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Do as previous posters have already suggested.

Section isolate:

Plug the cord in. Does it trip? Plug the cord and power supply in. Does it trip?

If yes, then you have isolated your problem.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"Chris Read"

** I take it the power cord is 3 core ?

If so, the earth ad neutral conductors have come into contact inside.

That with trip the ELCB instantly, every time you plug the cord into an AC outlet.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The next day now everything is fine. What does that indicate? Some water has dried up, or something yesterday was using a lot of power in the house such as the air con?

Reply to
Chris Read

That its an intermittent fault.

Unlikely if you are accurate in you claim that it never got wet.

Much more likely its just an intermittent fault.

Time will tell.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I've had 4 that do, and none that don't. HP/Compaq and Toshiba Not all the time, just when running on power when battery is low.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

geoff wrote

Don?t believe it given that none of those of mine get anything like that hot.

Still complete and utter drivel.

You can't even manage a consistent line in mindless bullshit on that last.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Apart from what other causes have been mentioned, that could also be the case. When you plugged in the laptop it caused the current in the power circuit to exceed 10amps, due to other appliances in use, causing the circuit breaker to trip

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

That's 2400Watts, so not very likely..

Reply to
Clocky

He mentioned aircon running, so it's possible. Used to happen here with the heater going, and then turning on the jug or microwave, until I got the another feed for one of the powerpoints.

--
rgds,

Pete