Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Can anybody point me to a good design of same.

240 VAC in, 9 VAC out.
Reply to
Mark

"Mark"

** Huh ?

What gobbledegook is this ?

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The closest thing in terms of a transformer that will be able to provide 'some' regulation is a ferroresonant one. They were often used 20 or more years ago but declined more quickly when the UPS became cheaper.

The yare good at supply regulation but bad for noise and bad for waveform distortion.

You dont really want to design a ferroresonant in a toroid unless you want to spend a few weeks getting to grips with the material properties and all the magnetics calculations and building many prototypes.

Far better you just get a good SMPS.

But do you really need 9vac for your application or is that to feed something else that could utilse DC more efficiently ?

or did phil write this so i can practice typing and get even more proficient ;)

--
Regards
Mike

**Why don't you tell us what you are trying to actually do, rather than telling us what you think you need?

As you may have guessed, your request is difficult to satisfy.

At a minimum, you need to tell us:

  • AC or DC
  • Maximum and minimum current requirements.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Uni assignment?

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Sounds more like primary school :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

He wants a transformer that regulates.

--
Bye.
   Jasen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jasen

I am trying to build a 240 VAC in (or even 110 VAC in, I really don't care)

9 VAC out, regulated (to 9 VAC) , isolated (from transformer), step down transformer and AC power supply.

Input fused (at about 2 amps) but I could adapt just about any design to about that current.

There...but I think I already said it, didn't I ..Let's see?

... yes, thats me.

......ah, I did.

Reply to
Mark

What is the application?

Do you need a regulated 9V RMS Sinewave output? What for?????

James

Reply to
James

Yes, I really do need 9 VAC for my application.

Within the application, the 9 VAC is rectified, filtered, regulated (to +15 VDC and -15 VDC) and then filtered again.

So the input needs to be regulated to within about (+ or -) 1% 9 VAC.

Reply to
Mark

Yes.

Say please.

Reply to
Mark

No, I think I want to regulate the output of the transformer.

The output of any transformer is only proportional to the voltage of it's input. AFAIK, anyway.

So if the volts >

Reply to
Mark

*** Thanks...thats the best laugh I've had for ages :) I'm sure a single 9Vac supply will give you amazingly clean +/-15V rails, you'd best make sure you get a 500W toroidal though, that'll help..

PMSL

James

Reply to
James

Bullshit

Reply to
Mark

**WHAT IS THE APPLICATION?
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:59:44 +1000, "Mark" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Ask yourself, what is the peak value of a 9 VAC sine wave?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

**You have not told us what you are trying to accomplish. You can expect to suffer derision, until you explain more fully what you are trying to do. A regulated AC source is difficult to accomplish and usually unnecessary. A regulated DC source is much easier.

You should also learn about top posting and why it is not a desirable method of communication.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Why not switch mode?

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

**Because the clown who posted the original request has not revealed why he needs 9VAC. An SMPS is the worst way to generate AC in low draw applications.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

which removes the need for any tight regulation of the 9VAC.

Nah, THAT's bullshit. (Hint: Just think for a moment what effect an increase or decrease of 0.5V in your AC 9V will have on the REGULATED DC rails.)

Reply to
rebel