Electrical licensing FWIW.

If there were approved courses and accreditation for performing trivial jobs such as replacing light switches, then the market would dictate that such services were cheaper than they actually are when performed by people who are hugely overqualified for job.

The current legislation is a license to rip people off.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Can you explain to what level the electrical industry has been deregulated in NSW ?

Does this mean that anyone can do their own/other people's wiring legally, do certain parts of it, are required to do a course first etc etc ?

Reply to
kreed

To state it clearly, I am a licensed electrician. Now in the state of NSW, where deregulation thrives, this means nothing.

If someone has a gripe about your standard of workmanship having a license means the someone can seek recompense under law.

So, having a license makes you a target if not a victim.

Without consideration of safety and threats to life and limb what is to be said about those individuals who show contempt for individuals like myself, who stand their ground on matters of safety and regulation.

backyard experts, weekend warriors and cheapskates to boot.

Reply to
Dianci Maichong

Well now, I feel honoured to have a reply, from you Sylvia.

But what do you actually know about the direction of current flow ?

Are you conventional ? Or could you be my backdoor girl ?

Reply to
Dianci Maichong

Rubbish......I'm a licensed contractor. The amount of times especially at weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from friends etc that after all else fails I get a call to say 'My fan won't go 'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the breaker keeps tripping after I have just tried to fix .........' etc. is ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues The legislation is not to rip folk off. It is to save lives. This time of the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy lights installations. I cringe on seeing some these creations. Some of your trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to many. Just because the bloody thing works for you doesn't mean to say it is safe. Each to his or her own Sylvia...........Stick to yours please. You imply that people are over qualified to do simple tasks. Where do you draw that line?

Reply to
Metro

You mean, do I realise that though it's conventionally described as being from positive to negative, the flow (in metal conductors at least) consists of the movement of electrons, so the actual flow is in the other direction? No, of course I don't.

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It is not as simple as that. Go to Dept of Fair Trading

and drill down to Draft legislation seeking to eliminate

licensing requirements for , in particular, electrical trades.

I am not a member of the ETU , f*ck them I say , and that includes the

halfwit John Robertson.

Go figure who is driving the agenda -

Dept of Fair Trading

( read - Big Money )

Reply to
Dianci Maichong

That just shows that some people are not competent to do the work. I didn't suggest otherwise.

They might well be if the people concerned had taken the approved course I posited.

Just because the bloody thing works for

A line can be drawn, and is in other countries. I can't see why Australia should be any different.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

In Britain individuals can do all manners of work at home without a license, the proviso being, that you are competent, for instance a person with electrical background may be capable of satisfactory workmanship in many other trades as they see all the other trades working alongside and therefore indirectly learn them. even an office worker, or hobbyist or handyman with a mechanical aptitude can with research, be perfectly capable of many repairs at home. How many householders can change a washer or replace a power outlet safely? there are many, but it is illegal so to do in Australia.

Reply to
F Murtz

One thing I find anomalous is that a tradesman in another discpline, for example plumbing, can get a licence allowing him to perform work of connecting an appliance to existing wiring, yet the home owner cannot get a licence to do the same thing.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

such as replacing light switches, then the market

performed by people who are hugely overqualified for

weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from

'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the

ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues

year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy

trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to

safe.

that line?

Of course you will defend your cushy monopoly - but your argument is bullshit. Silicon Chip exposed the fallacy of 'safety' lies that are used to justify a ridiculous position. The 'safety' argument is rubbish. There are many countries where people can install wiring etc. and - PAY CLOSE ATTENTION HERE - those countries DO NOT have a safety problem. So the safety argument is proven bullshit - the facts PROVE it is crap.

Wiring a GPO does not require a union ticket - all you need is some basic information.

fritz

They'll probably toe the party line.

But what of countries where people are permitted to do this? Do insurers bother to ask? If not, what does that say about the actual level of risk to the insurer?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

jobs such as replacing light switches, then the market

performed by people who are hugely overqualified for

weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from

'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the

ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues

the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy

trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to

safe.

draw that line?

You are really a pathetic debater. Look up ad hominem. Everyone can clearly see that you are unable to present a logical argument. I suppose you will accuse Silicon Chip of being on drugs next.

Reply to
fritz

jobs such as replacing light switches, then the market

performed by people who are hugely overqualified for

weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from

'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the

ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues

the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy

trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to

safe.

draw that line?

You don't know my name.

Reply to
fritz

such as replacing light switches, then the market

performed by people who are hugely overqualified for

weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from

'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the

ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues

the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy

trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to

safe.

draw that line?

Please note: All readers

This "fritz" talks as if he is substance abuser. Probably alcohol.

A right nasty little bottle of excrement.

May you find a happier life. Somewhere, sometime

Reply to
Dianci Maichong

Thinking laterally now. How about you call the people who insure your home about the cost of annual renewal. Tell them that you rewired your home yourself. Tell them also that you thought long and hard about the pros and cons and that to save money you did not think it was necessary to use an electrician ( aka - a rip-off artist )

Let us know what they say.

Reply to
HW-K

Not sure there's really that much to discuss. Presumably you're thinking about the Qantas A380. Rolls Royce no doubt have product liability insurance, which will cover ordinary risks, probably including negligence. It's only going to get interesting if it can be shown that RR management wilfully ignored a clearly identified unacceptable risk (i.e. behaved like NASA management on two occasions). The insurer might have a get-out clause then, and, as an aside, only the fact that no one died will keep the management out of prison.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

such as replacing light switches, then the market

performed by people who are hugely overqualified for

weekends on Sunday afternoons I get requests from

'round' 'the new light fitting doesn't work' 'the

ridiculous....The same goes for my colleagues

the year is a ripper with all the so called Chrissy

trivial tasks that you suggest are not so trivial to

safe.

draw that line?

I did'nt see your name in the bibliography

Proceedings of the School for Young High-Energy Physicists.

Reply to
HW-K

Australia is different in many many aspects.

We have never been inclined towards homogeneity and more importantly

very few of us have read the highly acclaimed and seminal work

Quantenmechanick Fur Fortgeschrittene

Any body want a copy ?

Reply to
HW-K

They were CF6-80s made by General Electric.

I was aware of the restart, or intended restart, of the search. I hadn't heard that it was the result of duress. There is a clear public interest both within France, and beyond, in having the cause of that crash established with some certainty.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else