Electrical licensing FWIW.

8> Don't have to be provided you're supervising (in NSW, don't know about

We are. Thanks for the discussion. It has been an argument in this country for years. My main gripe is that the difference in rules,regulations and licenses from state to state. 'tis a farce. I'm just about to retire and have seen many a change in tradies these past years. I can honestly say that standard of workmanship is the worse that I have ever seen. Possible because that all jobs are no longer tested by an authority. It is all tested on a random basis. Very random...........Got to go.

Metro.........

Reply to
Metro

Perhaps that explains why I have had to call tradesmen back to do things properly.

Once when air-conditioning installers had just laid cables loose across the roof space - I made them come back and anchor them properly. The same mob, incidentally, removed a tile from my roof during their work, and neglected to put it back, letting the rain in. The cost of a building inspector to check for damage got deducted from their bill.

Another time was when the electricians and gas-fitters installing a kitchen left the gas pipes for the stove unlawfully obstructing the power socket that had been installed for the same stove.

It should be noted that in both cases, they were subcontractors, or perhaps employees. The electricians I've contracted with directly have all been very concientious, as far as I can tell. Maybe that says something, though I'm not sure exactly what.

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Cables can be laid without fixing if certain rules are complied with.

Reply to
F Murtz

I'm pretty sure that doesn't include just laying them loose across the tops of the ceiling structure and insulation batts where they're likely to be trodden on and tripped over by anyone who's in the roof space.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

cause

I have noticed that most people now, especially younger ones seem to have little in the way of common sense or interest. Most would have to be supervised the entire time in order to ensure nothing goes wrong.

Another common thing now is that if someone does something wrong on a job, even an obvious thing, and you instruct not to do it, you will find that the next hour they will just do it again, you tell again, they do again. It gets to the point of really having to go off several times just to get it through their thick skull.

I hate it.

Reply to
kreed

That's how its done in QLD, every house I've seen including mine which is only 1 year old.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

No doubt, because it's quickest and therefore cheapest. But most of the roof space is deemed to be a place where wiring is likely to be disturbed, because there's more than 60cm of vertical space. The wiring rules manage to be rather vague about the ramifications, but wiring laid loose across the structure and batts is clearly subject to potential damage that the rules require be protected against.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Agree, In QLD I have been in many ceilings, and wire is always laid loose across battens.

Reply to
kreed

In Darwin it gets even better.

They sling from pillar to post (without a catenary).

It must be some sort of tropical syndrome. but on further analysis it does make sense ,in terms of thermal constraints.

Reply to
HW-K

It can not be laid across battens or joists where it can be trodden on but If you nail bits of wood across the joists you can lay it between the bits of wood

Reply to
F Murtz

Don't know what the regulations say but from my observations I've never seen bits of wood or anything in QLD.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

So much for the idea that you need to employ a professional to have it done safely.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

My understanding the electrical work like all cable should not be placed on the ceiling in new construction or additions , certainly with commercial work it is now so so I would expect domestic to be the same now in Qld

--
Reply to
atec77

Sounds like what the yanks call "knob and tube"

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

subcontractors often aren't paid well enough to do a good job.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

That's no excuse. If they can't do the job properly for the amount offered, then they shouldn't accept the contract.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Right, if only they did so. If only ALL businesses and contractors were honest. Would make life so much easier. I won't hold my breathe!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Of course they are , doing it right is usually faster than coming back to fix it

--
Reply to
atec77

Except that most of the time shoddy work won't be picked up by the customer, and they'll get away with it.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else