Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

I was initially pleased to hear from Microsoft that Windows 10 IoT
Core Insider Preview with support for Raspberry Pi 2 has been
released. The OS is free and is available after some tedious
registration here
<http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/SetupRPI.htm . I was
deeply disappointed to find that you need to have a computer dedicated
to running the full Windows 10 preview to use it. I have not tried it
on the Pi because I don't yet have a spare computer with enough grunt
to run Windows 10 and I'm not willing to "upgrade" my current Wintel
or Linux computers to an OS preview.

Microsoft did contribute to the many ongoing discussions on a
preferred SD card and vendor for the Pi by recommending two. To save
you the trouble of registering to read the link above the cards are
the Samsung Evo <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> and the
SanDisk Ultra Micro SDHC
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>.

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

You could run Windows 10 in VirtualBox under Linux.

Paul Oates
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

Not according to the page referenced above. It says "NOTE: you will
need to follow these instructions on a physical Windows machine (and
not a VM) because you need access to the SD card reader".

[snip]

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.
On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 16:02:28 +1000

Doesn't USB pass-through work in VirtualBox?

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

Why do they think that it is easier to install Windows on new machine just to
make an image on SD card then just making image and letting user decide
what method will be used to write that image to sd card?
There's no difference in hardware on Pis...

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

Because Microsoft are once again getting scared of people using Linux
they gave aware Win XP almost FOC when net-books started to become
popular to kill off that competition & now Win 10 IT is an attempt to
stop kids learning Linux whilst experimenting with the PI at school.

--
Don't get stuck in a closet -- wear yourself out.

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.
On 08/06/2015 13:55, alister wrote:
[]

Even if I were to agree without, I don't see how running Minecraft or
other games actually teaches anyone much about programming.  You can
program stuff in C/C++ or other languages under Linux or Windows and
learn something about how computers work.  I think IoT is much wider
than simply to "stop kids learning about Linux".

--
Cheers,
David

It's SOP for MSFT - embrace, extend, extinguish.  They noticed that RPi
was getting lots of people, including newbies, playing with Linux ...

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

Is this special SD-card image writer something that only runs under W10
or can it be run under Wine?

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.
On 08/06/2015 13:46, Nikolaj Lazic wrote:
[]

The image is supplied in a non-standard format for the moment.

See also:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SettingUpWindows10ForIoTOnYourRaspberryPi2.aspx

--
Cheers,
David

So... if some1 installs it... and then makes an image od the card...
then the image could be extracted and compressed to .xz... and uploaded.
Right?
No need for individual images. Right?

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

Sounds reasonable to me - if people actually want to run it.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

Yes, I think that would be the case, although I've not tried it myself.

--
Cheers,
David

I have no idea, but perhaps they have a kind of registration system to
validate all sdcard online ?

franssoa

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

technically I don't see any reason it would not work
Legally? it probably violates Micro$ofts license if you do it.

of course it would have been easy for micro$oft to have had a first boot
registration system so they could have used a std image format but that
goes against the Mirco$oft ethos

(which is really stupid if I am correct about them just wanting to throw
a spanner in the works of Linux adoption)

--
Desist from enumerating your fowl prior to their emergence from the shell.

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

It's absolute bloody travesty... they give away a free OS and then
expect you to use their tools to develop and support the free OS. The
audacity of them to give you a free target OS and free hosting OS and
free toolkit to develop on. Worse, the tools they have developed to put
this free OS onto an SD card only runs on their free software. How dare
they give something away that doesn't work with some other tools.

It's an outrage. By giving it away instead of letting us pirate it we
wont be able to get one over on Gates^WBallmer^WThe Man! Bastards!

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

They really should give me the hardware so that I can run their
preview.

Relax. When it comes the "free" PC Windows 10 is only offered as a one
year trial so you will get a chance to pirate it.

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.
On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 17:10:05 +1000

It's not a time limited system, it's simply a free upgrade for the first
year of release.

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.

My error. They say I can download it and install it when I feel like
it but it is not clear to me if that has to be within a year of
downloading it.

Re: Windows 10 disappointing but they do have advice on SD cards.
On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 23:56:39 +1000

//Is the upgrade really free?

Yes, it?s free. This is a full version of Windows, not a trial or
introductory version. It is available for a limited time:  you have one
year from the time Windows 10 is available to take advantage of this
offer.
\

I'm guessing you have to do an online registration either before
download or after installation, and that won't work after the year is
up. Or maybe they're just restricting download availability of the
upgrade version to a year. Knowing MSFT there will be a long string to
type in somewhere.

Site Timeline