Will raspberry get ECC support?

Well yes, the 'risk projections' is a mealy mouthed way of saying 'models based on assumptions'

At least the conclusions is 'too small to be reliably measured'

And what assumptions? LNT?

Almost certainly because no one else has really come up with anything more accurate. We know LNT is between 100 and 1000 times too pessimistic, at any elevated dose levels and the truth is that peak dosage is far more important than cumulative chronic low level dosage.

Exclusion zone at Chernobyl is quite low - there are hot spots but mostly its in the 20-50mSv/y level. Ramsar in Iran has a background of

50-200mSv/y. It has a lightly *lower* cancer rate than average. (it's not statistically significant IIRC)

The key to cellular mutations seems to be to get enough radiation to cause BOTH strands of DNA to mutate identically before the cell dies. That a very slender chance at low dosages.

If you get radiotherapy *enough radiation to kill you* if applied whole body is given. Several Sv in a short time. There is a 15% increased chance of unrelated cancers developing as a result.

And that's it. a few people died at Hiroshima from radiation induced cancers a few years later, but the majority of people died then and there from blast and incineration or in the next few weeks from massive radiation exposure. Hiroshima was never cleaned up, and its a healthy place to live now.

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You might like this site:

Its owned by a Ukrainian girl with a nuclear physicist father and a big motorbike, who likes riding it in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. She takes interesting photos.

So far Chernobyl was the worst, followed by Kystym and Windscale. Apart from them, there have been another 7 where casualties where oll in single digits and external contamination was minimal.

The full list is here:

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

that final paragraph from Jan destroyed any credibility he may have had & is simply not worth continuing further

--
Second Law of Business Meetings:
	If there are two possible ways to spell a person's name, you

Corollary:
	If there is only one way to spell a name,
	you will spell it wrong, anyway.
Reply to
alister

On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 08:23:38 GMT, Jan Panteltje declaimed the following:

Any device typically allowed on a space mission has to undergo rigorous testing for all sorts of environmental situations... Both from the device (can't have it out-gassing corrosive vapors under reduced air pressure) and to the device (radiation hardening if it has any safety critical functions).

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

rigorous

I did read recently that they've been using Plain Old laptops on ISS with no radiation-related problems - but of course that is inside the Earth's magnetic field, so there's a fair amount of shielding from ionised particles.

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

On a sunny day (Sat, 09 Jan 2021 16:59:59 -0500) it happened Dennis Lee Bieber wrote in :

Indeed, I know, but have you seen the SpaceX pictures of their big spacecraft traveling to mars with passengers in it using their laptops? I have commented on that in a youtube video long time ago. Laptops would not last very long... Neither would the Tesla car's electronics Musk sent to deep space... OK he is selling, needs some salt....

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 9 Jan 2021 14:40:10 +0000) it happened The Natural Philosopher wrote in :

There is already a company trying to market such a chip so you need no purse or card just walk past the gate of the supermarket.... On chip polymerase test in your blood could easily detect you being 'infected' and refused access or triggering the crocodile trapdoors in each street hey I am not working for 'ollywood, but you guys are free to use this idea in the next sci fi movie.

Climate change is well known and why, does not depend on CO2 or human activity _at_all_:

scroll down to Milankovich Cycles All those orbital effects add up, and anybody who can add some sine waves can see when and how the earth climate will change, scroll down all the way for the cool and warm periods. The whole snake oil started IIRC with Al Gore and polar bears. The above website was their main site it was replaced and they renamed this one old.world.... As the planet orbits are related, so is climate change on Mars, where [apart for Al Gore?] no humans have a cottage:
shows current ice melting and things collapsing due to warming on mars (2 pictures in sequence, works in Chrome on raspi4).

There also was once the 'Club of Rome', LOL

That thing I build is still big, but it does fit in a pocket, I have carried it around in my pocket while it was logging location and radiation levels in the super market to see if the mushrooms and other food imported from the eastern part of Europe were radioactive, those were not.

Japan is going to release the stored radioactive water from that accident in the sea:

the fish you eat,,, Investment in a simple detector is worth it I think.
in camera sensor chips exposed to strong gamma radiation you get occasional short time pixel errors, I think subtracting frame to frame would show this, better done in the dark perhaps... Wrote some motion detection software for a CMOS webcam >20 year ago.. used frame subtraction.

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 09 Jan 2021 18:02:18 GMT) it happened alister wrote in :

You act like an other clueless government paid brainwashed troll that tries to bend reality.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Artist's impressions, completely meaningless.

It wasn't supposed to, it was just a prettier form of scrap steel than is usually used as a test load. Musk is a showman.

Much salt.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

There was a recent study in the UK suggesting air pollution (not nuclear) caused 36,000 deaths a year in just the UK.

Reply to
Pancho

Just recently NOx air pollution was given as the sole cause of death for an asthmatic girl in London who lived close to the South Circular road, which carries a lot of HGV traffic. She died in 2013. NOx levels in London have risen since then.

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

You act like another idiot who believe every conspiracy he sees posted on the internet without giving it even the most basic critical analysis

News flash

The USA DID land on the moon Evis IS dead Flight is not a Bermuda Triangle mystery The world is not flat Vaccines work And there are no microchips in ANY of the Covid vaccines.

There were approx 1500 deaths in the UK today due to covid.

Hospitals are shutting down essential services because they do not have the capacity to cope because of knowledge-less people repeating the claims like "Its only the Flue" ignoring the fact that aysymptomatic people may spread it to those more susceptible & refuse to wear a mask or have one but refuse to wear it properly.

--
A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and
making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually

This was more the case in the 60s when science played a significant role in education at the HS level due to our push to catch up withthe Russians in space. But for many years now science has been given short shrift and whacky ideas have gained a strong foothold. And it's not "politically correct" to tell the whackos they're dumber than a bag of hammers and crazier than a ferret on crack... which they are despite the attempt to use "political correctness" to shield them.

--
Jim H
Reply to

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 08:29:49 GMT, Jan Panteltje declaimed the following:

Advertising agency stuff, with no accounting for reality?

I'd suspect the relevant space agency would provide a list of pre-tested/approved laptops that don't out-gas, emit spurious RF, and have hardened processors and memories.

They'd likely cost a small fortune, and have processors over a decade out-of-date for commercial gear. (The Boeing 737 series have flight management computers running Motorola 68040 chips... TODAY)

Suddenly I'm seeing Jubal Harshaw commenting on the taste of Valentine Michael Smith in the ending of Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land"

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

That was a randomly generated fortune cookie I have to say how pleasantly surprised I am to see how apt it turned out to be :-)

--
To program is to be.
Reply to

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Personally I think masks do pretty much the square root of sweet fanny adams, but they make people feel safer, so fine

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

    - Stephen Vizinczey
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apt, but wrong.

twenty-first century?s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He meant hampsters, not hammers.

--
Tim
Reply to

I think you mean 'hampers'

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

I've always thought of science as a mechanism for pruning out guesses that don't work rather than a mechanism for finding the truth.