Why does the Raspberry Pi exist? - Page 3

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Zork predates DOS.

It was originally on big iron - a PDP10 and consisted of the trilogy as
one big game.  It was then re-written to run on the home computers
of the day.  I would have thought that the first versions were
likely to have been one (or more) of Apple II, TRS/80 and CP/M (this
was still before the release of DOS).

But yes there are a number of z-machine interpreters for Linux (as
well as other machines) which let you play Infocom games.  There
is a thriving community of people who are interested in adventure
games (http://www.intfiction.org/forum/ and www.ifarchive.org).

--
Andy Leighton => snipped-for-privacy@azaal.plus.com
Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

forum? there's a NG or 2!
rec.games.int-fiction (for game discussion)
rec.arts.int-fiction (for internals)

--
It's a money /life balance.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Yes I know, but most of the conversation on if has left the building (or
rather usenet).

Sorry for the delay in posting this.  Had a blown PSU on the machine
with my .newsrc file that needed a replacement.

--
Andy Leighton => snipped-for-privacy@azaal.plus.com
Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 09:20:47 +0100, John Williamson

Oh - maybe it some other text adventure I had for a CP/M machine - it was
a long time ago.

--
It's a money /life balance.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

The 'adventure' game was ported to a DEC10 environment, and then (or
maybe simultaneously) to Unix, but it began life somewhere else. The
Linux version says:-

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick
building.  Around you is a forest.  A small stream flows out
of the building and down a gully.
This is an implementation of the original Colossal Cave Adventure.

        Original development by Willie Crowther.

        Major features added by Don Woods.

        Conversion to BDS  C by J. R. Jaeger

        Unix standardization by Jerry D. Pohl.

        Bug fixes and enhancements by David Fenyes.

If you want to end your adventure early, say "quit".  To
suspend you adventure such that you can continue later
say "suspend" (or "pause" or "save").  To see how well
you're doing, say "score".  There are certain shortcuts;

Through how many portings did the 'suspend you adventure' typo
propagate, I wonder?

--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@NoneHome.com        Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                             @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m

I played it on a Data General Nova in the late 70's. Pretty certain it
had no typo.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:45:08 GMT

Ah, now there's a potential stumbling block.  :-(
Wine runs in user mode, it can only use hardware that's already enabled
in the kernel, and Windows drivers generally aren't (although there is
at least one exception I can think of - ndiswrapper provides Windows
APIs so that some Windows drivers, primarily wireless network devices,
can run under Linux).

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

I was thinking that if the kernel had (and Windows drivers used) some
kind of basic USB primitives which I suppose must exist at some level,
it ought to be possible, maybe with some added kernel hooks, to execute
Windows drivers from inside Wine. But I know nothing about USB. Or
Wine.

--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m

I worked part time for a charity looking after their IT system. All of
it with the exception of the routers was second hand. The last batch
of PCs I had to contend with were about 60 from a local secondary
school. No OS and no DVD or floppy drives. USB was there but only two.

 Fortunately the charity got special rates for windows and office from
microsoft so I could put those on under a group licence. I ended up
with about 20 spare machines which were used as a source of spares for
the rest. Needed too because they were all on their last legs. About
the only thing I had to buy in were a few cooling fans.

We went through loads of PCs while I was helping out there. Almost all
second hand from offices and schools in the area and all on their last
legs. It became quite difficult to dispose of them after the laws
regarding commercial waste came in. I had to drive to several sites to
get rid of scrap machines one or two at a time.

I retired a few years ago and gave up but AFAIK they are still
struggling with mainly second hand kit on its last legs.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
says...

The big problems are

MOST donations are usually 5year+ age machines, and most schools need
new systems to last at least 3 years and when editing video or looking
at needs for even newer web technologies they have to use, some cannot
do it.

All systems are better running at the same level of OS and memory etc
which sometimes is not possible even with a site license for some
systems to be loaded on.

There is a feeling that a lot of donations (whatever the materials) are
one way to avoid tax or paying for correct wast disposal.

Other times its moire about marketing and all schools only need old
stuff, then the same parents will complain that the schools are not
teaching "latest methods" or "industry standards" (ask someone to point
to the written standard and what they mean is "what I use at work".

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
says...

Even an old PC is worth more than a new RPi and there aren't too many
I/O busses that can be directly written to, they take a shit load of
power to run, and you normally can't throw them in your backpack to play
with at home.  If all they were interested in was pushing Python
programming, then sure, old PC's good, learning to talk to a DS1307 RTC,
old PCs bad.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:31:45 +0100,

Really? sorry, there's no such thing as "free". Someone paid for that,
probably including you. And probably quite a bit. Go ask for your
school district's IT budget for their break down on costs.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
What I meant was: why buy Raspberry Pis when PCs are already in the school?

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant

Because then the little darlin's can use an inexpensive computer to
experiment on? you know, doing things other than learning how to
start Word or Excel?

Otherwise, computer "literacy" will consist of being able to open the
Office products[*], and being able to make use of them. I wouldn't be
terribly surprised if that also involves using IE to make use of the
web.

[*] of which LibreOffice or OpenOffice will not count

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

I was wondering why the old computes couldn't be used for that.

I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant
Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
"Policy" amongst other reasons,such as the school or local authority
normally not owning them, and so they aren't allowed to give them away,
they're owned by the IT supplier. If they do own them, then they're
required to dispose of them in the most cost effective manner possible,
which is normally by accepting the best tender from a selected disposal
firm. There is a possibility that confidential data could be retrieved
from the hard drive, even if it's only cached data. Any operating system
or other software licences aren't allowed off the school network, so the
HD would have to be either removed or securely wiped to a satisfactory
standard.

There is also the paranoia which is rampant nowadays, what if it were to
burst into flames and burn the child's home down? Could "we" be held to
account? The people deciding such things aren't capable of making
reasoned decisions in this field, and the ones who are, aren't allowed
to, and wouldn't normally be consulted.

Mostly though, it's because by the time a computer is too old and slow
to be used as the schools do, it's far too slow and short of memory to
do anything useful with modern software.

If you want your child to learn (Mainline) computing properly, buy them
a cheap old system from the guy in the market or back street, and load
an operating system onto it. I recently bought an old computer box
which had a Windows 2000 authentication sticker on it for £39, and
although the HD had been wiped, it's not hard to find a working
installation .iso and burn it to CD. Or, I could have just put Linux
onto it for nothing. Add a cheap keyboard. mouse and display for another
£40 quid, and Bob's your uncle. My box needed a new cooling fan as it
kept cutting out, which cost me tenner or so, and, if I'd not known how
to change one already, it would have been an educational experience
learning how.

The Pi is a very good and cheap way to learn about the basics of
computing at low level, and how the software interacts with hardware,
which is somnething that can't be done cheaply with mainline computer gear.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:39:54 +0000 (UTC) in comp.sys.raspberry-pi, I

In most cases you would be right, but a computer that is several
years old and already depreciated on the books to a value of $0.00
is as about as close to free as anything can get.  In some cases
schools even have to pay someone to haul it away and dispose of it,
when except for bureaucratic stupidity they could *give* it to that
previously mentioned "one bright spark" student.

And while you are at it, go ask Al Capone for a breakdown on the
costs of organized crime.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:16:28 -0700,

Wow, really? you mean to say your "public servants" aren't? you're
advertising a netcom.com adddy, which implies a USian. I am a USian,
and I can ask my school district for that information.

Of course, I live in an open records state, so they really can't say
no.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

But which set of books will they show you?  :-)

bill

--
Bill Gunshannon          |  de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n.  Three wolves
snipped-for-privacy@cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

:-)

Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Site Timeline