What's about DVD movies?

I've got a USB controlled DVD Reader/Writer, which when plugged into a win7 netbook, just played the movie clips, as I recall from 20 months ago.

Since the rPi [Dec. 2012 version] displays so nicely on the HDI[1920x1080] my friend asked me to bring it & the DVD player for him to show movies.

Since we've only got 2 USB ports, I was able to set it to boot into X; but our can't 'view' the *.rm. *.avi,*.mpg

What format do the street-market DVDs use?

Is it viable to view DVD movies with rPi?

== TIA.

Reply to
Unknown

the movie player itself should be able to 'open' the DVD as a compelte unit.

I use VLC or kaffeine on normal x86 linux

Either of those available?

VLC has its own 'hack' libraries to get round DRM but kaffeine needs libdvdcss and friends

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would also suggest you by the MPeg2 decoder licence otherwise I doubt you will get DVD playback.

--
If voting could change the system, it would be illegal.  If not voting
could change the system, it would be illegal.
Reply to
alister

well in normal linux land you don't need that. Cant answer for a pi tho

Oh. you need to buy the mepeg2 codec and then intsall libdvdcss and then frig around summat rotten to get it to work.. sheesh

easier to rip on some other platform Id say

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Supposedly, the latest versions of XINE support the r-pi mpeg codec license for decoding. Otherwise, on the pi CPU you get like 12fps (guessing), it's lame.

The latest XINE will be available in Jessie - so whenever Debian releases it as stable, the r-pi folk can work their magic turning it into Raspbian and we'll all benefit from DVD goodness.

Reply to
richeyweb.com

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:38:38 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: [snip DVD stuff]

Raspbian already has a jessie release as testing - see

I was using it fine until a problem with upgrading to udev.215-5, which seemed to be isolated to my case. So it should roll out as the stable release without much magic-working to be done!

Reply to
ajw99uk