What distribution is likely to have most up to date software?

I realise this is a bit of a difficult question to answer but which Pi Linux distribution is likely to have the most recent versions of softwre on it?

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Short answer: Raspbian.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Dzieki, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net, za post o tresci:

I would guess Arch Linux.

--
Tomasz Torcz            There exists no separation between gods and men:
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl   one blends softly casual into the other.

I would think probably not. Raspbian is based on wheezy upstream, which is about to be supplanted by Jessie. I think wheezy is at least 2 years old; but has bugfix and had security updates. Jessie's still in testing; and hasn't (yet) been released. I believe you can switch your sources.list to jessie, and do a dist-upgrade; with the risks associated with beta-grade software.

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

This, and "Arch", is exactly why I said Raspbian. If he has to ask..

Reply to
A. Dumas

Thank you, I was thinking the apps in Wheezy seemed fairly old, that explains it. When are we likely to get Jessie in Raspbian?

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Well, as I said, it's there if you want to risk it: sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list change all mentions of wheezy to jessie repeat nano for all files in /etc/apt/sources.d sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo reboot

Personally, I'd wait until jessie becomes stable :| maybe 6 weeks or so...

Reply to
tony van der Hoff

I would suggest caution in what you ask for. Jessie defaults to systemd as its PID 1. Reports are mixed about how easily and how thoroughly you can get rid of systemd.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

reports are also varied about whether or not systemd is a problem it has been in use on my fedora netbook for some time without an issue. It is running on my PI2 osmc as well & i have not noticed any problems.

i don't doubt that some users with unusual needs may be having problems but for the more common set-ups I don't think there are any issues.

I would still advise novice users to stick with the stable versions on any 'essential' computers but as a PI is unlikely to be being used as a main PC testing version may be suitable

--
Don't get mad, get interest.
Reply to

Same here. By and large it just works and, for daemons whose packagers haven't gotten round to defining a systemd configuration, the old scripts in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d still work just as well as they ever did.

IME Selinux run in enforcing mode is far more of a problem if you're running non-standard daemons or some major programs which don't have satisfactory Selinux configurations.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

Am 10.02.2015 um 14:39 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net:

Just yesterday I ran into bugs in avrdude 5.x and missing support for the ATTiny13A in avra (avr assembler) and considered to install Arch Linux.

The versions provided in Raspbian are SEVERAL years old. Which was mildly irritating - to say the least.

But then I hesitated to use yet another distribution and instead I compiled the two programs from fresh sources which was quite an exercise but it worked in the end.

Maybe this could be a viable option for you too?

Reply to
Georg Bisseling

But not here - falls over when starting the login service, which I have side-stepped for now by editing cmdline.txt to point to /lib/sysvinit/init - though I don''t think I'm trying to do anything esoteric.

Reply to
ajw99uk