weather station software

I am trying to help a newbie pi user to get his weather station (a WH1081) to work using Consolewd with his Pi. It currently works OK on a windows machine using the GUI version but he wants to use the Pi for reasons of noise, power usage, something to do with a Pi.

So far I have managed to follow the instructions here:

(That may have wrapped onto two lines)

Including the rather obvious error near the end when copying the lib files.

So it works. It reports the data from his station every minute.

But it goes wrong after 5 mins. That is when it tries to upload the data to wunderground.com It says it's uploaded the data but we don't see it.

Even worse it then spawns a second child so we have 2 copies of Consolewd running and they interfere with each other when reading the weather station data..

After 5 more mins we have 4 copies After 5 more mins we have 8 copies ... etc. etc.

Is there any one here who has practical experience of using this software on a Pi who could perhaps shed some light on the problems.

Thanks

--
nev
getting the wrong stick end since 1953

A friend has been successfully running a WH1080 over a USB connection to an RPi for a year or two, but she runs wview 5.20.2 from wviewweather.com

However, I'm pretty certain she is running Apache on the RPi and owns the domain. You can find this weather station here:

HTH

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I am also running wview, and like it. It serves on the home wifi network, and also ssh the files up to my isp. You can see the results at

. I don't use Wunderground, but that is an option within vwiew.

There is a google group for wview at

.

JimR

Reply to
flaflashr

Thanks for the link.

I've got wview compiled up and running very nicely now. Sadly I have to work out what changes I need to make as the station is not as stated a WH1081 but a WH3080.

--
nev
getting the wrong stick end since 1953
Reply to
nev young

{snip}

Right after I posted this, I munged my Raspi with a bad upgrade. My weather station wview has been offline since then. Just a few minutes ago, I got it back online. The archives remained available, but the real-time weather did not. I hope that nobody tried my site and was disappointed. If you did, have a look now.

JimR

Reply to
JimR

...My dials are better than your dials na na ne na..

;-)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[snip]

Google Charts

make it nice 'n easy.

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

Looks good. What is the 'Heat Index'? Is it what used to be called the THI (Temperature-Humidity Index) which, I was told, meant that half the population was uncomfortable when it hit 50? I remember seeing it used in NYC during the summer when I was there in the mid 70s.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

network, and also ssh the files up to my isp. You can see the results at

. I don't use Wunderground, but that is an option within vwiew.

.

My

minutes

the

was

I thought you would at least have the temperatures in proper units.

Reply to
Lawrence

Interesting thread. My question is: what about RPi compatible hardware? With all the rpi's, arduinios, beagles, temp sensors, etc, isn't there any hardware? Geez, Davis wants hundreds of dollars for their stuff and I read about it failing all the time.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Have a look at

It is made for professional use, and will not fail all the time, but it is not nearly free, either.

--

-TV
Reply to

Nope; nor the measurements of precipitation or pressure.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Higton

Fer $2200, it better come with a totally hot weather reporting babe!

nb

Reply to
notbob

If you want high quality physical kit thats produced in relatively small quantities, i.e. almost any home weather station, either make it yourself if you have a properly equipped home workshop, the ability to use it and the appropriate design skills, or pay the asking price.

Your choice.

I've owned and used a Davis anemometer for over 20 years. It is top quality kit that still 'just works' after all this time. If I needed a home weather station they'd get my money.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature