Watchdog

I have a B and a B+ both running Raspbian.

I would like to setup Watchdog on both of them so if they hang they will reboot.

Googling produced many results all of which seem slightly different. I have followed some of them but I have not convinced myself I got it sorted.

Could someone point me to the definitive way to set up Watchdog and once setup a way to test it

Thanks

Reply to
The Tardis Repair Man

There are at least two different watchdog packages available. I have tried the package named watchdog and it appeared to work. However, after it had reset my Pi several times for no apparent reason, I have removed it for later study. The configuration is quity picky and counter-intuitive.

Reply to
Rob

It seem there some bug in kernel driver for watchdog provided by BCM chip. The hardware allows ?ping period? up to 16 seconds. When userspace tries to set higher delay, driver ?helpfully? clamps it to maximum. But userspace thinks setting higher delay worked! And waits longer time between poking watchdog. In result, HW watchdog does not get ping in time (16 secods) and reset the Pi.

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray