VNC refused connection

I have been following this project:

and when I enter the pi's ip address: 192.168.0.19:8080 into a web browser, I get connection refused. It is the same even on the raspberry pi, it refused to connect.

I've also tried using VNC Viewer with the ip address, and still get connection refused.

It looks like it obviously something on the raspberry pi, but I don't know what.

Any ideas?

Reply to
RobH

is the pi listening?

netstat -pant | grep :8080

Reply to
Andy Burns

pi@raspberrypi:/ $ netstat -pant | grep :8080 (Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.) tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8080 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN - pi@raspberrypi:/ $ sudo netstat -pant | grep :8080 tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8080 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 452/motion pi@raspberrypi:/ $

Putting 127.0.0.1 into a web browser on the pi shows a kind of picture from the Microsoft Livecam HD 3000, but you can't make anything out.

Still refused connection in VNC Viewer

Also, according to the project write up, I was under the impression that captured pictures would be saved in the /media folder, but none are so far.

Reply to
RobH

The daemon is only listening on localhost. You'll need to configure it to listen on more interfaces. How you do this is determined by the configuration of the specific daemon you're running.

Roger Bell_West

OK, so it's only listening locally, you need to configure the motion software to either listen on all interfaces, or just the NIC with

192.168.0.19 address
Reply to
Andy Burns

Putting the ip address into VNC viewer with 8080, just returns connection refused.

Given that the picture is rubbish, I'll go for some other project. I just wanted to try it to see how it works, but not to my satisfaction.

Thanks

Reply to
RobH

VNC viewer running *on* the pi? or somewhere else?

assuming the former, try using localhost:8080, instead of 192.168.0.19:8080

that said, port 8080 is an unusual number to be running something that expects to speak vnc/rfb, sounds more like a non-standard http port, and you should be pointing a web browser on the pi to localhost:8080

Reply to
Andy Burns

Standard VNC runs on port 5900 (+ display number).

--

-TV
Reply to

The magic line, from the makeuseof URL, would seem to be

set "webcam_localhost off"

Rob, did you enter that in /etc/motion/motion.conf ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks but I have swapped out the sd card for another project now, and as the webcam picture was rubbish , I am sending it back.

Reply to
RobH

No I din't actaully, I must have missed that.

But thanks

Reply to
RobH

VNC servers normally work on port 5900+

---druck

Reply to
druck

8080 is default proxy web server port
--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Only unofficially, it tends to also get used by anything else wanting to using http where port 80 is already in use.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use 8000 (http) or 8443 (https) myself. Andy's point I think is that vnc is usually on port 5900 (or 5900 + N for the (N-1)th instance), so are you (OP) really sure it is supposed to be vnc traffic?

Elijah

------ see N > 0 cases regularly at $WORK

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

In case you haven't heard about it, most Linux distros, including Raspbian, have a copy of the file /etc/service

This is a plaintext ASCII file that lists all the well-defined network services and the ports they are expected to use.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

/etc/service*s*

And 8080 is alt http or http caching

private property.

Karl Marx
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

/etc/services is not a Linux thing, it's a Unix thing. I recall editing it for adding "well known" service names for the in-house software back when I was working with Solaris desktop computers.

That said, 8080 is convention, not law. My current /etc/services is system stock and does not have 8443, but you can find lots of people using it if you search. And my ISP offers Privoxy as a service. It's a privacy oriented HTTP proxy. They run it on ports 8008 and 8118, in two configurations (8118 blocks more stuff).

Make TCP you friend and you will understand when to use the well-known ports, when to use your own ports, and a good feel for why to use one or the other.

Elijah

------ finds only three "http" ports in /etc/services but many more in reality

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Of course. I only omitted mentioning that because we're not talking about and of the other Unices. ==== As for documentation, I still think that, old is it is, there's little better than "Unix System Programming for SVR4" if you're serious about writing programs for Unix and its modern descendents.

And add a copy of "Linux/Unix in a Nutshell" to get you up to speed on general system organisation and use.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org