VLC video

10 Dec 16 22:53, you wrote to all:

Pe> Now having VLC on my model B, I've been testing out its capabilities. Pe> I can play audio files and streams very nicely, but so far I've Pe> failed completely with video.

Pe> When I first tried to view a YouTube video, it complained that Pe> it couldn't find the URL, but that was fixed by an updated lua Pe> script (from GitHub). Now its complaint is that it can't find Pe> an "XVideo adapter". Beyond that message, though, I have no Pe> idea where the problem might lie. I think this is the relevant Pe> output from 'vlc -v':

Do you have the HARDWARE codex installed?

Additionally VLC lacks the required support to do the hardware decoding for non H.264 formats..

There was a thread about compiling VLC with the required code for HW acceleration on Pi's

THEN

VLC changed the code base and a straight compile was broken... The threads outline this torterous steps to complete it, but it needs OLDER VLC code which was an issue in obtaining..

So HD video via VLC may still be an issue... omgxplayer has the needed code to use the Pi's hardware to do HD video..

Additinally there was whining from the Pi Foundatin and the Rapsbian repo operators about why this couldn't be put in the repos for simple sudo apt-get install vlc.

Quote: "Firstly is it possible to build the omx plugin and use it with an existing build of the same version of vlc? I really don't want packages in raspbian main to depend or build-depend on the raspberry pi foundation libraries. So if I can build the Pi driver from a seperate source package (even if doing so means building vlc and throwing most of it away) and have it work with the existing core vlc binaries that is how i'd preffer to go)"

This is what irks me with the Pi Foundatin they shoot themselves in their foot many times over, over crap like this! Rather than making it easier for all... ESPECIALLY their TARGET AUDIENCE! Many of the persons who are getting Pi's have never touched Linux.

I lost interest in Pi's for video playback as I am not interested in the bloat of XBMC, OpenELC, and a straight forward change from my setup on a much higher box which uses VLC was not possible on the Pi(s).

Theres tons of acrimony on this topic on the RasPi foundation forum.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Now having VLC on my model B, I've been testing out its capabilities. I can play audio files and streams very nicely, but so far I've failed completely with video.

When I first tried to view a YouTube video, it complained that it couldn't find the URL, but that was fixed by an updated lua script (from GitHub). Now its complaint is that it can't find an "XVideo adapter". Beyond that message, though, I have no idea where the problem might lie. I think this is the relevant output from 'vlc -v':

libva: VA-API version 0.32.0 Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". libva: va_getDriverName() returns -1 [0x1ad6388] avcodec decoder warning: Failed to open VA API [0x1e4bf30] xcb_xv vout display error: no available XVideo adaptor [0x1e4e168] main video output error: video output creation failed [0x1ad6388] main decoder error: failed to create video output

I tried going into preferences and fiddling with the Video Output, with slightly odd results, but no success. An audio-only YouTube doesn't work with "Default", but if I switch to "XVideo Output" it plays. A video with the same setting seems to play the sound without picture.

I'd be really happy if I could watch videos on the Pi. So has anybody had success, or have any idea how to fix? (I've googled without finding anything that really seems appropriate, though many people report that error.)

Thanks,

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

Urk! Didn't know some formats might cost me... (:-/) But I woudn't have thought playing youtube would involve such -- Firefox is quite happy to play them (on other platforms).

All sounds very messy. What about this omxplayer? Does that play streams of a youtube nature?

As a newcomer to this, I'm not clear on how in general one finds the approriate stream to play. There are various decoding scripts for youtube -- which seem to evolve as youtube does -- but there are lots of other streams I'd like to watch. (Usually I do so via Firefox on Ubuntu.)

-- Pete --

Repeal Godwin's Law!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Pete

Yes, and that is the preferred way of playing video on the RPi as the only hardware accelerated player. It used to play Youtube videos fine (in combination with 'youtube-dl' to get the source URL) until Youtube decided to fragment all their live and 1080p videos. So now you can't watch live or FullHD video on Youtube with a RPi. It plays for a couple of seconds and then a new fragment is supposed to start but that has a different URL, so you need to restart the youtube-dl/omxplayer combo which clearly doesn't work. Sigh.

Reply to
A. Dumas
14 Dec 16 03:50, you wrote to me:

Pe> Urk! Didn't know some formats might cost me... (:-/) Pe> But I woudn't have thought playing youtube would involve such -- Pe> Firefox is quite happy to play them (on other platforms).

The codex license is good to have if you plan to use the builtin hardware to decode H264 video, ie: if you plan to use XBMC, or OpenElec or some of the other video systems software.

For just viewing it via browser or something...

If you have a new enough browser then dorqtube will play via HTML5 v. the scerge of "flash" via plugin.

Depending on distro the needed support files are included. On other platforms, like a standard laptop or desktop these distros have these.

Pe> All sounds very messy. What about this omxplayer? Does that play Pe> streams of a youtube nature?

No, OMXplayer is sort of a VLC for the Pi's, and LXDE which includes the neccessary binary support for the hardware of the Pi's.

It is messy, and could easily be solved by just adding to the repo the work several have done to get VLC to use the hardware of the Pi's to play HD video etc... They would rather arguge over BS about whether its proper to add this to the repo becuase it uses some library to do it... Its total stupidity.

Pe> As a newcomer to this, I'm not clear on how in general one finds Pe> the approriate stream to play. There are various decoding scripts Pe> for youtube -- which seem to evolve as youtube does -- but there Pe> are lots of other streams I'd like to watch. (Usually I do so Pe> via Firefox on Ubuntu.)

I use youtube-dl its great to rip out stuff to MP3's...and it supports other sites, at least from the web page, and its man file, but I've never used it other than on dorqtube to rip video audio to mp3's. You can do it with ffmpeg to if you have the video already, but ytdl makes it all a single process. The ever changing code is due to the RIAAFIA trying to stop that. dorqtube changes things, youtube-dl changes to fix it in a few hours. As for doing the RTSP stuff to capture streams of other video, sorry, above my pay grade... I just don't have the time to play with that stuff... but Linux in general is crappy at capturing video be it streams to tuners to A/V inputs be they analog or digital. Can it be done? Yes, but not with out putting in a good deal of work.

i@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-cache search youtube-dl youtube-dl - downloader of videos from YouTube and other sites

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Pe> Thanks for alerting me to that. Nice that it's cross-platform Python,

Its Python, so for the most part should work on any distro be it 32b, 64b, ARMHF, MIPS, RISC, or even S/390... I think its in that repo, don't have my S/390 VM up right now to check... theres a lot of stuff in there that I honestly doubt really runs on S/390, just causes it compiles with out errors don't mean it runs, or runs correctly! :)

About the only thing on Python I've seen have issues is stuff that plays with audio... some older stuff is still looking for OSS v. ALSA, and some newer stuff insists on pulseaudio (blech, spit!) over ALSA...

Pe> so I've installed it on a couple of machines. It works well on Pe> youtube and appears to have a wide range of sites that it can access. Pe> I haven't got it to fully work on the BBC yet (laptop, not Pi); it Pe> seems to hang on a multifragment download. I'll try again.

I have not looked through the bug tracker, but another post mentioned that the latest tactic that the mpiaffia forced dorqtube to do was split up the files of stuff. No biggie for other stuff to do this and continue on, but I guess the way this works it has issues...

Also if you are not in the "Commonwealth" territory you probably will have issues with BBC etc. with the mapiaafias other love child georestrictions... May need a VPN to bypass that in addition to the fragemented file..

Pe> version is bound to be behind the times.

sudo apt-get install youtube-dl

sudo youtube-dl -U

Now you are updated to the latest version.

You will want to do that pretty regular as dorqtube and mpafia try to break it.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Thanks for alerting me to that. Nice that it's cross-platform Python, so I've installed it on a couple of machines. It works well on youtube and appears to have a wide range of sites that it can access. I haven't got it to fully work on the BBC yet (laptop, not Pi); it seems to hang on a multifragment download. I'll try again.

I downloaded it directly from its site. Probably wiser as the apt version is bound to be behind the times.

-- Pete --

Repeal Godwin's Law!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Pete

I have unzipped it and am running it directly. It does save 15 secs or so, but it's still pretty slow to start up. (I guess that's the case for a lot of apps on the original Pi (:-/))

I haven't quite figured out why some streams play flawlessly and others have a lot of "buffering". A youtube stream gave me perfect full-screen HD, but one from the BBC hung in the middle for quite a while (with the modem light thoroughly busy).

I added "--no-part" to the youtube-dl command in the script, because I know sites are sending fragments, and by default yt-dl loads the parts into separate files before writing them to the destination. This helped a bit with the BBC, but it still hung in the middle.

-- Pete --

Repeal Godwin's Law!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Pete

the only license you need to buy is for MPG2 and VC-1.

h264 is enabled by default, you don't need a license for that.

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

& for the price(less than a pint of beer in most places) I really don't see why anyone would complain.
--
The strong give up and move away, while the weak give up and stay.
Reply to