usb to ps2, supported?

hello: I have a RPI-B+, I like to know if ps2 keyboard and mouse can be used with it, using a usb-to-ps2 converter?

thanks

Reply to
Maurice SAAB

I have some older PS2 keyboards and have not been able to get them to work with converters. I think "converter" is a misnomer. They are just connector adapters and the USB functionality has to be built into the keyboard. At least that is how the ones I have work.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, I have USB to PS2 converters and use them with mice and keyboards on my Raspberrys. They must be the *active* type of converter, not the passive ones which rely on the keyboard and mouse understanding USB protocol.

The ones I use have sockets on leads from a large USB plug with the electronics in, rather than the ones which just have a USB plug on one end and a PS2 socket (or two) on the other end.

Reply to
Dom

You need the ones that consist of a short length of USB cable, then a small plastic box, and then a split cable with 2 PS/2 female connectors.

Those work OK with every device, even with old DIN-5 keyboards when a DIN-5 to PS/2 adapter is fitted inbetween.

The ones that are only a USB and PS/2 connector attached together do not work with random devices. They can only be used with the device they were packaged with.

Reply to
Rob

thank you, all

Reply to
Maurice SAAB

Be aware that some of these are somewhat broken as regards keyboard layouts. For instance, a common converter chip (the one in the cheapest active adaptors, usually (USB)head-body-two-(PS2)legs type) won't pass the |\ key on UK keyboards. It's a bit of a problem trying to use this for Unix...

This one works for me...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Noted. The one I use shows up as ID 04d9:1400 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. PS/2 keyboard + mouse controller

The |\ key works fine (I'm typing this on a very cheap UK PS2 keyboard

Reply to
Dom

+1 for that type, it's even happy supplying sufficient power to a Model M.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Are there any other keyboards? (typing on a Model M)

Reply to
Rob

The cable on my Model M was eaten by a rabbit, and I've never bothered to fix it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Careful, the spacebar might spring-off :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine was eaten by an alligator.. but I managed to kill that beast

Reply to
Joe Moron