USB connectors multiplied beyond reason

I've completely lost track of all the different USB interface and
connector standards.

If a Raspberry Pi 2 can power a 2.5" drive with a Micro B SuperSpeed
port, will a Pi Zero be able to do the same?

It's possible to run a drive with a Micro B SuperSpeed socket using just
a Micro B plug, does that mean that a cable with Micro B connectors on
both ends would also work with it (connected to a Pi Zero)?

Thanks,

Daniele

Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 17:56:51 +0100

That's just a regular micro-B cable plugged into an OTG cable.

Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason

Sorry, that's not clear to me. Do you mean that what I need is "a
regular micro-B cable plugged into an OTG cable"?

Then to find out what an OTG cable is.

I did say that I had lost my grasp of USB...

Daniele

Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 22:34:03 +0100,
real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) declaimed the
following:

    As I recall, OTG sockets can accept either micro-A or micro-B; the type
of connector used defines if the socket operates as a host or a client.
--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 22:34:03 +0100

I've never seen a micro-B-to-micro-B cable for this purpose, so unless
you fancy soldering your own cable I'd suggest that's the way to go.

"On the go" It's a micro-B plug on one end (ISTR with pin 4 shorted to
ground, to signify that your phone/tablet is the host device) and a
full size socket on the other end into which you insert your standard
USB device e.g. thumb drive, keyboard.  Obviously only works with a USB
socket that has OTG functionality as that's where the detection and mode
switching happens.

Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason

I think this: <http://www.meenova.com/st/p/mbc_mu.html will do the job
then - the Host end plugged into the Pi Zero's USB port, and the other
into the hard disk drive.

Daniele

Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 18:34:15 +0100

Yes indeed - I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that these are readily
available, I just never needed to look because the cables I already
have work just fine.  In a situation such as the one you propose, where
power may be an issue, the shortest cable with the fewest connectors is
going to do a better job (always assuming there's some copper in there).

Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason
With a one Amp wall wart, my piZero would continually restart when it
got to the rainbow splash page (with the following attachment configuration)
With a 1.5 Amp or  more the configuration worked fine.

piZero
Three TerraByte external USB 3.0 hard drive connected solely  with the
supplied USB3.0 cable and a USB2.0 female to male OTB adapter. - which
also powers the drive.
Wireless Mouse&Keyboard USB dongle
WiFi USB dongle
OTB power supplied thru OTB/USB hub to OTB port - bypassing piZero OTB
power port.
Additionally a Mini to HTMI adapter converts a really cheap HTMI cable
to the TV.

I had the same concerns. My piZero is grinding around the clock
massaging filenames with a python program I wrote to standardize the
titles of nearly 2TB of MIDI and MP3 files. My CPU felt hot to the touch
so I used a daub of thermal paste vampired from an old PC to attach a
copper penny as a rudimentary poor-man's heat-sink - which performs it's
cooling job just fine.

Using the TV USB as a power supply may not be sufficient. I don't think
the piZero will burnout if you attached a wallwart designed for the pi3
supplying 2.5 Amps - which may supply a continuous power which the TV
will not. My concern is the piZero scrambling the microSD/TransFlash
with frequent unscheduled power interruptions.
My piZero projects use a momentary switch soldered onto the board which,
when pressed, starts a full-power shutdown - then I wait for the little
green light on the piZero corner to stay dark before removing power.
Prior to installing the shutdown trigger the OS would exhibit
intermittent/random glitches which were difficult to rectify, if not
impossible given the time to trace - the reliable solution being -
replacing the TF/SD Operating System card with a fresh duplicate (that
gets frustratingly tired in a hurry.)

If it were me, I'd add an external hard drive to the setup along with a
WiFi dongle and make it an entertainment server which loads the movie
automatically to the hard drive when a disk is inserted and control the
rig with a remote VNC or SSH on my iPad/iPhone. I say that because my TV
has an integrated DVD player slot in the top  back, if the device fails
(it's beginning to have trouble ejecting) it would be quite an operation
to replace the drive - whereas a pi/hard-drive/DVD configuration using
discreet components is more versatile and upgradeable (to BluRay for
example.) I visit the local lending library each week to stock up on
DVD's I run as background noise while I work, and often desire such a
configuration to recall some bit I watched last week. My phones, tablets
and laptops would also become streaming devices with such a
configuration. My problem is trying to find the time to code the
automatic movie storage function. Does anyone have a suggestion for
existing solutions?

In your case, Procida, think Jeffersonian and plan for expansion, once
your piZero configuration is in place, you will likely find much more
you can or would like to do with it. You might even find that Velcroed
to the back of your TV set is not as convenient or handy as Velcroed to
a kitchen cabinet next to an HDMI switch. (I initially parked all my
WAN/LAN gear on the credenza where the original rotary phone was
installed in 1954, but soon found that set-it-and-forget-it clutter was
best suited hung on a post in the attic, which also improved the WiFi
all about. The projector likes the kitchen video stack as that's usually
where the evening is planned and executed. )

--
   All ladders in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye have thirteen steps.
There are thirteen steps to the gallows, firing squad or any execution.
Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason
On 29/04/2017 10:22, DisneyWizard the Fantasmic! wrote:
[Snip your reply]
[Snip original post]

You've been around here long enough to know we don't top post.

Get with the program.

---druck

---

Re: USB connectors multiplied beyond reason
Oh, if it isn't my little bitch, presuming  to tell me what to do, in
the manner of a bitch.
[bitch slap]

On 4/29/2017 3:53 PM, hatemonger druck publicly bitched, on matters best
aired privately:

And that's all the constructive criticism you could think of, o' yea
who's mind is not yet free?
Please meditate upon 'Why bother?'
with such questions as: if my actions only fester hate, why bother? and
'If it changes nothing, why bother?' Try not to fall asleep, young
padawan, as you lube your ass and chant "it's not the meat, it's the
movement." (i.e. try to be not a big dick. butt gfy]
--

- better to learn by mistakes of others, - Wiz.
  -  erroneous examples as provided, - Wiz.

*plink*

Site Timeline