UPS recommendations?

It occurs to me that since UPS batteries have been known to burst, then putting it in the back of a wardrobe might cause damage. Maybe it'd be easier to tackle your project a different way? Make it tolerant of power loss? I'll grant that's not easy. I'd suggest looking at PiCore, a Raspberry Pi port of Tiny Core Linux that loads into RAM from a read-only partition on the SD-card, and that any data logging should go to a USB flash stick. I don't know how easy PiCore is to work with, but it seems to be well-maintained and have an active community.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Because they want to make money and there's no market for such a thing.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I've not really been following this thread so please excuse if this has already been suggested/discussed.

Something like this

Shopping list:

and something like this for each DC output required

Plus maybe (sticking with simple, electronics people will likely cringe) something like

and a couple of resistors to detect mains input on a GPIO pin.

Reply to
Rob Morley

.. and were it just for the RPi (which yours isn't, I appreciate), you might like a large battery which can be float-charged at the same time as powering the RPi. For example, the 10400 mAh unit here, stock number

775-7517:

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Reply to
David Taylor

er

Where does it say it can be charged at the same time as being under load?

Oh and Sainsburys (at least Penrith) have the TP-Link 10.4 AHr Power

Amazon.

The TP-Llink also doesn't say it can be charged and used at the same time. Also any supply needs to supply the charge and load current so lets say 4 A. The TP-Link is up to 2 A on it's input, the RS doesn't state a max input current.

And the maximum draw of 2 A and 1 A per port on the TP-Link or "Maximum Power Supply is 2.1 A" on the RS, I'd assume that is 2.1 A from only one port or a tad over 1 A from both. Might not be enough umph, remember there is a DC-DC convertor in there somewhere to boost the nominal Li-Ion 3.7 V to 5 V.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've actually used the RS Components one, and confirm that it can be charged whilst under load. That's why I recommended it. The input is rated at 1A, so the maximum continuous load for full charge would be one RPi.

If you get one of the TP-Link devices it would be interesting to hear your report.

BTW: I got one of those USB voltage and current monitors - cheap and gives an indication at least!

--
Cheers,
David

I'd been looking at one of these:

Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Reply to
Stuart

Just be sure you can charge the battery at the same time as using the USB 5V outputs.

--
Cheers,
David