"UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor

Looks quite interesting, although they are still asking for funding.
(The x5-Z8300 is a new and relatively powerful quad-core Atom CPU for
tablets.) They say they've just got their first engineering test sample
of the "UP", and the photographs do appear to be of a real board.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/802007522/up-intel-x5-z8300-board-in-a-raspberry-pi2-form-fa

Re: "UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor

in-a-raspberry-pi2-form-fa

As you say, it looks interesting. I didn't notice any power consumption
figures, though just that it uses a single 5v supply.

Being slightly picky, I'd have preferred an SD card slot or a SATA socket
to the 16 GB of soldered-on memory: if this card is going to sit on a
desk as they suggest, it could do with rather more than 16GB of non-
volatile memory. The RTC is a nice touch, though not really necessary. Is
1GB of RAM enough for Win 10? Not that I care, because if I had one, it
would be running Linux, though even that a bit more RAM, or the
possibility of adding it would be nice.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
The Z8500 family Atoms are designed for things like tablets. I picked up
a 7in Win8 Bing Edition tablet with one of the these quad core Atoms
inside. It came with 1GB RAM and 16GB eMMC. It runs Win8 OK, I don't
like the UI but it is usable with the touch screen. However, it so
lacking in storage space that running Windows update is painful. But as

The devices Intel were offering earlier this year supported either 1GB
or 2GB of RAM max and all the tablets came with eMMC as the primary
storage. I bought it because it was so cheap it was worth it to
experiment with the hardware's potential. I wanted to see how well these
1.83GHz Atoms worked. I have a dual core HT Atom 330 @ 1.6GHz  based
mini PC here which runs Linux. The tablet's Atom has significant more
CPU horsepower than the Atom 330. Also I wanted a small, lightweight
thing to run SDR# (SDR Sharp) a Windows C# Software Defined Radio
application and it can do that very well.

I don't have a Pi2 so I haven't compared the Pi2 to the Atom in the
tablet but I feel the Atom will still have more raw computing power. In
the end the tablet I have will get flashed with something more useful
and usable than Win8 Bing Edition.

As for this board on Kickstarter. It looks interesting for updating
existing Pi projects if you need more CPU or have x86 code to run. I
admit to only scanning the page about it and didn't see the price. It
can't be too much because the market is full of cheap hardware.
Something which caught my eye at the Embedded Linuxcon the other week
was the Arrow Dragonboard which is a quad core ARM A53 (64bit) based
system with 1GB DDR, 8GB eMMC, SDcard, USB host x2, USB device, HDMI,
Adreno graphics core, 802.11bgn, Bluetooth 4 and has integrated
antennas, Runs Lollipop and Linux and is only $75 retail. That's a lot
of hardware for not much money.

https://developer.qualcomm.com/hardware/dragonboard-410c

Win10 will probably run in 1GB. Whether it would be as pleasant as
running it in 4GB is debatable.

Re: "UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 18:33:42 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie

    I could swear the page image showed an SD card slot (along with four
USB host slots and Ethernet).

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: "UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor

board-
four

There's a rather flat-looking socket on the bottom surface under one of
the USB2 socket stacks, but its labelled "USB3" in one picture. There's a
also a comment elsewhere in the text saying that it can be configured as
either a 5th USB2 socket or the only USB3 socket.

That is how they justify the claim of having 5 x USB2 + 1 x USB3 when the
photos show only 4 obvious USB2 sockets on the top plus the one rather
indeterminate piece of metal on the bottom. I initially thought the
photos showed just 4 x USB2 and no USB3. It took some careful reading to
realise that its only a semi-cheat. There are in fact five USB sockets in
all but one of them doubles as either USB2 or USB3.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I'm holding out for hardware with a type C USB 3.1 connector.  The power
input should be through a type C connector too and maybe the video.  I'm
not sure how video over the type C connector is supposed to work.  It
may be that the connector is the same, but the functionality is still
special which is not a huge advantage, in fact it can be a bit
confusing.  But if you don't need the video output it becomes another
USB port.

--

Rick

Re: "UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor

Indeterminate to whom? It's a standard USB 3.0 Micro B socket. The
connector fitted the majority of USB 3.0 low profile devices.

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_172255_2.jpg

Re: "UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor

Indeterminate to me: from the photo's viewpoint, looking at its back end
rather than its socket, I didn't find it at all recognisable. YMMV and
evidently does.

That's all well and good, but you can't actually see the hole that's
meant to fit into any of the photos and I've never, AFAICR, handled or
looked at either one of those plugs or the socket it goes into. Still, at
least I now know what they look like, i.e. the 5th or 6th different and
mutually incompatible USB connector.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Re: "UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 18:33:42 +0000 (UTC)

And 2W for the CPU - guess something like 5W before you start adding
USB devices.

There's USB for external storage if you need it, and proper gigabit
networking.

The FAQ says 1GB will run 32bit Win10, and they're working on a 2GB
board that will run the 64bit version.  Reckon the 2GB board will run
Win10 32bit quite well.  Although I have an equivalent previous gen
(22nm against 14nm litho) Atom tablet that has faster I/O and video,
which seems a bit odd.

Re: "UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor

Is that a real desktop/laptop Win 10 or one of the lesser tablet/mobile/
IOT Windows 10s?

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Yes.

Re: "UP" An Intel x5-Z8300 board in a Raspberry Pi2 form factor

I don't think it's an advantage with eMMC soldered on. It's also a
disadvantage that they don't use microUSB for power. Hopefully it can
use HATs.

Site Timeline