Ubuntu 19.10.1 for Pi3 & Pi4, 32 & 64 bit

And diluting the exahaust with air doesnt change the actual amount of water emitted except by dint of a small increase in effeiciency.

Any more than adding an air pump into the exahaust of california specification MGBs reduced their emissions. They did pass the test of course.

--
     ?I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

I am not sure what exactly you're refering to here. One thing I do remember from long ago is adding air to the exhaust from fuel-rich combustion to supply the oxyigen surplus the catalytic or rather thermal concerter needed to burn off the hydro carbons. This did indeed reduce emissions.

A much higher efficiency is reached by using lean burning engines in the first place, but then you tend to maximise nitrous oxides and there's no easy way to reduce them.

Unfortunately the forays into the far-lean conditions achievable by e.g. plasma ignition were cut off when the fast rise in standards could only be met quickly enough by catalytic conversion of stochiometric mixtures and there was no longer any money for alternatives that had a long way to go at fuel prices that did not make efficiency an important goal.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

Indeed, and NOx seems to be the prime concern of those interested in cleaning up urban air, now that diesel smoke has mostly disappeared.

IIRC there was concern about heavy metal dust pollution from catalytic converters, but that seem to have ben kicked under the table as well.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

The california spec MGB had no catlytic converter. Air was pumped into the exhaust to reduce the *percentage* of CO and hydrocarbons to pass californias test.

True, but drifting from the point that *dilution* does not reduce the amount, only the concentration.

The Natural Philosopher

Brake dust was and is another nasty thing altogether.

The London Tube lines are full of a horrid dirt.

Pollution control is a law of dimisihing returns.

Compared to my youth the Western world is unbelievably clean. We exported all the pollution to China and SE Asia.

The Natural Philosopher

Exactly, but this problem only came up in the middle of the seventies and is was the *result* of trying to clean up the exhaust. The problem of mixture control is, it's not symmetric. Starting from a rich mixture the efficiency (and thus the power at constant petrol supply) rises to a maximum and then sudenly breaks off. The optimum is not somewehre an the middly of the usable range but very near the lean limit and very far from the rich one. So for good running and reliablility engines tended to be set in the rich range to accomodate production spread and lack of close control. NOx was not a problem then, hydrocarbons were (and in the cities short lived but highly concentrated carbon monoxide). The first clean air acts made engines much cleaner, more efficient and to higher manufaturing standrds, but the new setting tended to coincide right with the maximum of nitrous oxide production.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to
Axel Berger

It didn't need to. As I said above a thermal converter sufficed to burn off hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide.

No, they were not diluted, they were burnt with the extra oxygen that was lacking in the engine itself.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to
Axel Berger

I dont think so. Setting fire to your exaust pipe is not normal

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wish :-(

David

Reply to
David Higton

Never got any smoke out of the cars I have had in the past or have now that have PDFs. I can get plenty out of the 2007 vintage 2.5L Hilux. I drive it gently (as it is so thirsty). But if you boot it up a hill and rev it when some git in a BMW is up your arse you can cover him in soot. Very pleasing in a childish way.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Get the intercooler checked, you may get a pleasant surprise.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

s'true - it seemed that, back in the '70 or '80s, no bus or truck could move off without emitting a gout of black smoke from its exhaust. I was never sure whether it was better to have it belching straight up from vertical pipes or to sweep it across the road from a side- or rear-facing exhaust. London taxis laid pretty good smoke screens too.

But other places were worse. Much worse. I can still clearly remember the experience of following a row of 'well-maintained' Indian trucks through the single way tunnel into Kashmir. Even on full beams you could barely see the back of the truck 5-10m in front of you. Ventilation was entirely due to the movement of trucks pushing air through the tunnel.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

OK, Boomer.