TV or monitor?

ISTR reading somewhere that one was advised not to use the HDMI input on a TV set as it could be slow to respond, but to use a special-purpose monitor for the RPi series.

But also somewhere read that the origin of the Broadcom GPU was as an HDMI output to TV sets as part of a Freeview box?

Any advice thereto?

TIA

(Sorry, flooding this NG somewhat in recent weeks; I have RPis 1, 2, and 3, all awaiting unwrapping from the boxes in which they came, but it is the excitement of 64 bit which has inspired me to get the Rpi3 going)

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Apr 2018 13:37:57 +0100) it happened Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote in :

Respond to what? TV is one way rapi->video->TV.

Works OK on my big Samsung TV. Also works OK o nsmall HDMI monitor from ebay.

Just do not use an analog monitor on the analog raspi output, not enough resoluton for most purposes... But it is possible, I have that too.

If you are contemplating touch screen yes than you need a special monitor.

Now, talk about response time ;-) that is bad man.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Unless you are a "high end gamer" you'll not notice any issues whatsoever.

Roku was one of the adopters of the Pi's SoC and yes, it was designed as a set-top-box type of SoC, rather than a mobile phone type SoC.

Just plug it in and forget it.

Actually, you may need to fiddle with the overscan settings, depending on the TV - the raspi-config utility will let you do this under Raspbian.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Hello Jan and others,

JP> Respond to what? JP> TV is one way rapi->video->TV.

JP> Works OK on my big Samsung TV. JP> Also works OK on small HDMI monitor from ebay.

JP> Just do not use an analog monitor on the analog raspi output, JP> not enough resoluton for most purposes... JP> But it is possible, I have that too.

Same here.

JP> If you are contemplating touch screen yes than you need a special JP> monitor.

We have good experiences with FayTech touchscreen HDMI monitors in conjunction to Raspberry Pi's, especially for running ECDIS with OpenCPN on inland ships. In the config of OpenCPN you can tick the TouchScreen function. FayTech mionitors are also available in watertight versions and with high brilliance for using in direct sunlight abord at 12 Vdc= or 230 Vac~. They use one USB connector for the touch commands, besides the HDMI for the screen output. This version is an absolute must on ships without a steering house. Here is the connect info:

Faytech Nederland Energieweg 13 K NL 4143 HK LEERDAM Tel: +31 (0)88-4262350 E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@faytech.nl Website:

They also have VGA and DVI-D versions, but the HDMI models are recommended.

The only problem I have is how to emulate the middle and right mouse keys at that screens? I think that is a Linux problem. On another FayTech monitor including a computer build in there was a keyboard emulation menu and mouse trick to handle all clickable options including middle and right mouse clicks.

So if some one has a solution how to do the same in Raspbian Linux I am all ears ;-).

Almost all my Pi's 2x1B, 1B+, 2B and 3B have a job or get a new one. The 1B and 1B+ for RISC OS and the 2B and 3B for Raspbian or Ubuntu Linux. I am mostly using the 3B in Raspbian Linux.

I made an information package for inland ECDIS using OpenCPN and a Pi. Note: this information is in the Dutch language.

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

It's not the Pi it's the TV.

There are certainly some TVs (mostly cheap ones) for which the lag between signal and display is enough to produce a noticable and irritating mouse lag, other than that the only real difference between a monitor and a TV is that the has a bunch of stuff (tuner at least) that the monitor doesn't.

I get the impression that this applies less now than it did a few years ago when I learned to be wary of this issue - but that's just an impression.

Sure for watching TV where the sound and video come over the same HDMI link the delay doesn't matter - a tenth of a second lag in responding to the remote control of a TV is nothing, the same lag on a mouse is hideous.

Try it (anything with a mouse or touch screen and HDMI will to to test) - if you're in a big place like PC wormed then look at a laptop and then say - "Can I see how it would look plugged into my TV - I have one of those --->" - then buy the TV you wanted :)

Some are fine some not so much. Also much depends on your personal sensitivity to the lag.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

I can confirm thst this is the case on my panasonc 42" machine bought a couple of years back..

Probably around 200ms of buffering

private property.

Karl Marx
Reply to