Text-only Raspbian?

In 2013 I downloaded and installed Raspbian on a number of Raspberries and I think at that time there was the option of having a Text-only version. Those images were about 1.6GB in size and could easily run on a 2GB card.

Now, when downloading Raspbian it is a 3.2GB image that includes X, and I see no Text-only version anymore.

Is that still available somewhere or is there a script that can create it? (e.g. by stripping packages from a full version)

Reply to
Rob

That's probably possible, but a bit messy. You might find it easier to switch to Arch rather than trying to pare Raspbian down.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

I'd like to stick with a Debian distribution because I use it on several different types of system.

Fortunately I still have that 2013 image and it can just be update/upgraded to the latest state. I just wonder why options like this are dropped (and if they really are, maybe I am just not looking in the right places).

Reply to
Rob

Would that be this one?

fruit

Reply to
fruit

Ok, it is not the one I used before (that was on the main website), but reading the description it looks promising. Thanks.

Reply to
Rob

The kids of today hate command lines and won't learn to use them?

Seriously, that wouldn't surprise me: "I won't use Linux because you need to use command lines all the time" is still a common refrain, usually heard when somebody asks how to make some system change and is told to use a command line or two. This is apparently not considered a worthwhile counterbalance to the M$ truth that you often can't do the equivalent change in Windows because the config file is encrypted to stop you making that change.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Stefan Seelman has instructions to remove X :

Or see stackexchange:

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to
Chris Elvidge

Rob, there's a wonderful website called Google that can help you find things. ;-)

Maybe you could try this:

which results in

MINIBIAN being the number 1 search result.

From the website:

"MINIBIAN is a minimal Raspbian-based Linux image for Raspberry Pi. The main focus is to have a small, updated and stable distribution that is fully compatible with official Raspbian ?wheezy? image, without GUI and unneeded tools. So this image is perfect for embedded projects, or wherever you need to use all RPi resources for your specific tasks. The main advantage is that MINIBIAN has a very small footprint, boots in some seconds and uses just few of precious RPi RAM. Unlike other similar projects, MINIBIAN has not been obtained purging unneeded packages from original image, neither recompiling the source code: it?s just a customized Raspbian installation obtained from the same repository used for official RPi wheezy image. So kernel and binary files are exactely the same you will find on standard image, with the difference that MINIBIAN fit on 512MB SD Card, is fastest, and updated more often."

"The main features of last version (2015-02-18) included in MINIBIAN image are:

Kernel 3.18.7+ #755 13 secs boot (on RPi 2) 24 MB RAM used 334 MB disk space used Fit on 512MB SD Card Optimized ext4 file system with swap disabled Support for RPi B, RPi B+ and the new RPi 2 Targeted for embedded or server applications (NAS, Web server, electronic applications) 100% full compatbile with officiale release DHCP client enabled SSHD enabled root user enabled (default password: raspberry ? please change it a.s.a.p.)"

I haven't tried it personally.

I did a search for something similar a while back and found an Italian website that had an image that was about 600MB in size. The link I have lost but I have been using the image successfully since last October ISTR. I decided I needed X and fetching that plus some other large apps puts the total size to 1.2GB, it still fits on a 2GB SD card with plenty of room to spare. I have the original image downloaded last year and can make that available should you want to try it. Of course as it's an unknown image from an unknown source it's left as an exercise for the reader to verify there's nothing nasty lurking within.

Andy

Reply to
mm0fmf

I've had uniformly good results with the net install on other achitectures - I would think it ought to be worth a try.

Reply to
ray carter

Me too, I always use the net installer on intel hardware. But of course then I use a local kb/display to control it. On the PI I usually never connect a kb/display so I need a net installer that can be controlled from the net. This one appears to be capable of doing that.

Reply to
Rob

There is hope for some of the next generation. When Minecraft locks up, my son knows to open an xterm & type `killall java`.

I have a spare Pi for a surprise rainy-day project for him: setting up a totally headless Minecraft server (dd to put the image on the SD card, but then plugging it into the LAN & from there on out using ssh, screen, & such).

(The 'home server' Pi that I'm using for the USENET, among other things, has never been contaminated by contact with a monitor, keyboard, or mouse.)

--
"Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water,
or rain water, and only pure grain alcohol?"        [Dr Strangelove]

My 3 year old grand-nephew opens an xterm to type sl (An ascii art steam locomotive cross the scree, a joke program for when you mistype ``ls''.)

I've seen it claimed that kindergarden kids were taught logo. We'll see.

Ron

Reply to
colonel_hack

Ha, I hadn't seen that one till now. Thanks.

Not a bad idea.

--
There's nothing in Scripture that forbids letting our lawn
go wild.                              --- Garrison Keillor